icon

lights won't shut off on '09 f150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gr3atm3linko 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I have it apart, and I see where the board is lifted, I should have brought my camera. It's in between 1 of the pins and a hole in the bread board.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
Did you understand the instructions on how to repair it?   The only step I left out was when you strip the insulation off of the wire, twist it as tight as you can.  If you do not twist it, it will tend to unravel and get wide.  It is just easier to manage when twisted.
gr3atm3linko 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Is it normally one of the diodes that burs up? Which one is it? I made a jumper to fix what I saw was the problem, and the lights shut off the way they're supposed to and turn on...but the auto lamps don't work, the fog lamps don't work, and the cluster lamps seem dim. Any ideas
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Did you pull the circuit board all the way out of the housing.  They have more traces on the other side of the board.  How many wires did you probe?   Just pull it out and look at the other side.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
you an also grab the parking light wire at the SJB (Fuse Box) in the passenger side kick panel its in a gray connector pin 6 PURPLE / White its a positive trigger should be the 3rd connector up from the bottom
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
mikele1232000 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I am new to the fourm but i am having this same problem with a 09 f150, Ihave read through the discussion on here and have followed all the steps and my lights still will not turn off. Is it possible that I might just need a whole new switch? I repaired the burnt spot and I can't see any other burnt area's on the board but im not sure if I am over looking anything. Thanks for the help
wiringfool 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hi just a simple word of good advice. get a new switch ordered, well I don't feel so bad after reading these replies I had the same problem on new 09 f150 even after I new all the correct information,oops oh well mistakes will be made and beings it's brand new get the new switch for your customer I had mine to the dealer and he has new switch ordered and the customer is ok with that thanks.

wiringfool eieioztztzt
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Mikele, when you jumped the burnt trace, did you use a jumper wire and connect from the component to the left of the open spot to the component to the right of the open spot?   If you just placed solder without a wire, there is a chance you do not have a good connection.  I have only repaired 5 or 6 of these, I have seen 2 burnt traces on a couple of them.  I have yet to see one I could not repair.  The good thing about it is some of them are 30 dollars, depending on fog lights, automatic lights.  The problem is availability.
mikele1232000 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2009 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to thank everybody again for all the helpful post on this fourm. It saved me a ton of hassle of having to return to the dealership and buying a bunch of useless parts. In my last post I didn't think that my problem was fixed but I was wrong. For some reason after soldiering the board and putting the switch back together i realized that the little white circle piece with the contact was not making a good connection to the board, so I had to go back end a bend the contacts out a little so they will make a good connection with the board. After that it was perfect again. I have ordered a new switch so when I receive it I will take my old one back apart and upload some pictures to show exactly what to do to so that it will make it a little easier for the next person who has this problem. Thanks again for all the help, this fourm has now saved me a ton of hassle and headache, I would have never guessed in a million years that it would have been the switch burnt up not letting the headlight turn off.
wiringfool 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
It's funny that on this vehicle the headlight switch is the only switch protected by one fuse and then the switch is sacrificed,meanwhile the turn signals ,right and left,brake lights,right and left have fuses for each side and relay isolated,I think it's a money maker for the manufactuer!
wiringfool eieioztztzt
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic