icon

Pulling my hair out!!!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sweetac 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I am having the worst luck with an install of a Crimestopper Remote Start/Alarm system on a 2000 Silverado. Basically, the installation is all set up and I am using the CS-GMATA II Passlock Bypass. Everything worked fine for a few days and then stopped working. Now, the car shuts down after starting, as if the passlock bypass was not installed. I have tested the voltage time and time again, but everything seems to match. Is there any way I can test it to see if it is the passlock bypass that is causing the problem? I have already double-checked all ignition connections, etc.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Chris

Qveon 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
How do you have your tach sensing hooked up?
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have worked with a few of the Crimestopper remote start alarms. One of which was on a Ford Contour SVT with the Ford PATS system I believe. Anyhow, to ensure that the remote start part of the alarm is working fine, you should be able to put your key into the igntion, and try to start it with your remote. If the car still shuts down, its probably not the transponder part of the alarm. However, if the remote start still does not work, it may be the transponder. I think, being that the remote start was previously working, that it would have to be the transponder, and should not have anything to do with the tach, ignition wires, etc .. as long as they are still intact. Good luck is all I can tell you. If you need any further information feel free to e-mail me @   drvnbysound@aol.com
sweetac 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  

Qveon - I did not want to trust the auto-sense feature so I wired it directly into the ECM. I did verify that it was opperating correctly.

drvnbysound - The vehicle does not remote start with the key in the ignition. Like you say, I am wondering if it is a bad passlock bypass. They don't seem very durrable. Also, I don't like the fact that there is a pot that controls resistance, since changes in weather can cause that to vary. I live in Michigan so the temperature is changing every day... Do you know of another bypass unit that would be better to try in it? Again, it is a 2000 Chevy Silverado, so that should be PassLock II.

Thank you both for your quick replies!

Chris

pblargecar 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
try transponder.com they have great stuff
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
To make sure that it is the passlock, look at your dash lights when you attempt to remote start. If the security light acts just as it does when you start the car with the key, then that is not your problem. However, it is very likely that your problem is the bypass module. I am not familiar with the CS bypass you are using, but you said that it uses a pot for the resistance. Did you actually have to dial in the resistance to the pot? I have neevr seen a module that does that. I either use the PLDATA from www.bypasskit.com or I create my own bypass setup with a relay and a trimpot. It is true that cold temperatures will effect the resistence in a resistor, but that is why a trimpot is better than a resistor, because you can get the value within a fraction of a percent. I have heard that the passlock systems have a 5% tolerance, so I figure if I can get the pot withing 1% then the cold weather will not change the resistance more than 4%. If you just want to try a simple bypass method to guarantee that your bypass is not the issue, take a look at this diagram:
Passlock II Temporary Bypass (Diagram #2)
To get the resistence value: Strip back the Black wire. Start the car with the key, then cut the yellow passlock wire. strip back the key side of the yellow wire and take a DMM and put one lead on the key side of the yellow wire and the other on the Black wire. Record the resistence, then reverse the two leads and record the resistence. Use the higher of the two resistences recorded as your resistence and then set up the relay diagram using a resistor or a trimpot.
Note: For trucks and SUV's the passlock ground wire is ORANGE / Black, and for cars it is just Black, so it may appear that I have conflicting references to the color of that wire, but if you remember this note then it will all make sense.
If you dont want to use a trimpot you can just use a resistor, but make sure that you get it very close to the resistence. Like I said, I have heard you should only allow a 5% tolerance, but I would get it as close as possible so when it gets cold, then it will stay within the tolerance, that is why I like trimpots because even if you have a cheap DMM, you can still get the resistance within 1% of tolerance.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
sweetac 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

When the truck stalls, the security light flashes just as it would if the bypass were not installed. After 3 attempts, the starter is disabled for 10 minutes. This is what led me to believe that it was the bypass module that was causing the problems. I will try a new bypass module.

Thanks!

Chris

DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your PassLock bypass....you can do what jrilla said, get the PLDATA, make your own, or run a DEI 555L. The 555L is self-learning to the tolerance in the key(s). Another option would be the 555U also by DEI, however, it will completely bypass the Passlock, and would require you ro leave a key under the dash at all times in a nifty lil plastic container. Any bypass module will work, or you can run down to Radio Shack and grab a trimpot...
Good Luck
sweetac 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

Do you know of a good (preferably inexpensive) place to order the 555L from?

Thanks to everyone for all of your help,

Chris

DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
online, nope...sorry...however, anyone whom sells Viper, Sidewinder, or any alarm by DEI has them available...immediately...( try Best Buy, or Circuit City ) The price varies I've noticed...one shop I worked for charged $50, antoher Charged $35....calla round, when you find the cheapest....there ya go

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic