icon

sub enclosure for 02 mustang gt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rgavin82 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Is it ok to use 1" thick mdf for building a sealed subwoofer enclosure? I am building a box for two 10" kicker comp vr subwoofers at 400 watt rms each. The box needs to be able to support a lot of weight (because i am mounting a seat to it) so I wanted to make it as sturdy as possible. Thanks for the advice
mattb21 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
It's ok to use 1", but, if I'm correct, you should be fine with 3/4" if your just building a box for two 10's.
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Im not sure I would mount a seat to a subwoofer box at all.  Basically for saftey reasons,  think what would happen to that seat and sub box in a rollover accident.  The pressures that would be exerted on that box would be way more than it could handle.  This is why seats come mounted to the steel floor from the factory..
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

ragsports wrote:
Im not sure I would mount a seat to a subwoofer box at all.  Basically for saftey reasons,  think what would happen to that seat and sub box in a rollover accident.  The pressures that would be exerted on that box would be way more than it could handle.  This is why seats come mounted to the steel floor from the factory..

I think he is doing a truck build. And that is the reason he wants it to be strong enough is for weight to rest on the box.

If you are infact intending the box to be the point to secure the seat the above is correct.( I really hope your not intending that) There is no way i would do that and have a passanger ride there.

3/4 would be fine for the seat to rest on. You will want to add some extra bracing. Simple 3"x3" triangles should work well enough. A divider wall  would stiffin it the most.

sub enclosure for 02 mustang gt - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic