icon

05 wranger with 791vx

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rugby_3 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I was hoping for some help on my install for my Wrangler. A friend of mine helped me install the 791VX system in my 03 Wrangler. When I traded the Wrangler in I took the system out to put in my new Jeep. I mapped everything out for my next install. However the engineers at Jeep decided to change all the wire colors from year to year. I have found a wire diagram for my Jeep but what I don't get is the wires coming out of the XCRS module. According to my notes both the Purple and Green wire from the XCRS module go to the starter. Is this correct? I do not have a wire diagram for the output on the XCRS module. If that is the case there is no wire for my parking lights on the module that was hooked up before however they did work. There was only six wires hooked up.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
yes that's correct both wires connect to the starter, cut the wire and take the green lead to the side from the key and the purple to the starter motor side, the parking light wire is white on the primary harness if light flash worked on your truck before then the wire should still be in the harness, if it's not then if you can locate a spare unused wire on the harness, remove it and slot it into the space, it's the second wire from the right side of the harness when it's plugged in and the viper sign on the brain faces you.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
rugby_3 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I am almost ashamed to ask this but how do I know what side the wire is on. Do I need to crank the engine and hook up the meter. I would think they would use different wire colors but I don't think they did. Atleast for all the Wranger Diagrams I come across only show one wire color.
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
the starter wire is the wire that shows twelve volts while the key is in crank position only, cut this wire in half and connect green to the side that comes from the keyswitch and purple to the other side.
rugby_3 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Great, thank you. That answers my only hand up on the install.
rugby_3 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so I worked on the starter this weekend. I now have two more questions. I installed the system with little trouble however I have not been able to find where to connect the green wire I was talking about earlier. I only have one wire that shows power when I turn the starter on. I attached the purple wire for the starter side. So now the question is where to attach the green wire. My next question is do I have to reprogram the unit since it has not had power for a few months. I tried to arm and dis-arm the system but it would not receive the signal from my transmitter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

as i said in my earlier post, the wire that you currently have the purple wire connected to, has to be cut in half and the green goes to the side from the key ignition switch, and the purple to the other side, you can leave it connected as is, you'll just lose a couple of features like, the starter kill and anti grind, the remote start will still function.

the reprogramming part well, normally viper systems return to their programmed state even though power was disconnected and reconnected, via a non-volatile memory bank, you may however need to reprogram the remote, to do this your door trigger, ignition, valet switch, siren or led, and antenna has to be connected and working, preferably the siren since you're a novice, to reprogram, with a door open turn the ignition on, press the valet switch twice holding on the second press, when the siren chirps once then press the lock button on the transmitter, the siren should emit a long chirp to indicate success.

rugby_3 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
I think I see what you are saying now. I guess the last few days I was a bit dens and not getting it. So I was thinking the wire needed to be complete per say and not run though the module. I get it now. I will fix that this week when the weather allows me to be outside and not freeze my fingers. I have not hooked the siren wire up yet as I was not able to run it though the fire wall. I will work on reprogramming the unit after I finish up those two things. Thank you.
rugby_3 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

t&t tech, I worked this past weekend and installed everything. Thank you so much for your help and patience. It is all installed and working they way it should. I still have a few things left to do such as route a few wires, zip tie some stuff, and finish tape work. I was running out of daylight when I finished up. I hooked up the break wire and then tested the system out. Everything works great. However I did have a sudden realization that anyone can now drive off with the Jeep because it is a manual. So my question is do you know what type of output the clutch has (+) or (-). I was thinking of taking the brake shut-off wire and hooking it up to the clutch wire if they have the same polarity. If that's the case when someone goes to push the clutch in and the key is not in, the Jeep will shut off. What are your thoughts? Thanks again for all your help.

Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
read forum rules
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic