'97-01 honda crv, kits, which one?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gtboss 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Car: 1999 Honda CRV, Radio: Single DIN
Looking for anyone who's done an install on a '97-01 Honda CRV and compared any of these kits, and can tell me which one they choose and why? I'm looking for the best build quality AND the best "OEM" look: color, size, fit and finish.
1) METRA 99-7898   This one is a Honda Multi-Kit 89-06 and has a lower pocket which closely matches the factory pocket.
2) METRA 99-7893 This is a Honda CRV/Prelude w/Pocket 97-01 and has a lower pocket with a rounded opening that does not look OEM at all. It's the one that is the closest match to our year and model of car and is default kit from Crutchfield. But the reviews on Crutchfield for it are not good with complaints about poor build quality and a too small lower pocket.
3) Scosche HA1563B Looks very similar to the Metra 99-7893 except the pocket is square like it should be. Price is same as Metra.
4) American International HONK828 Could not find much info and looks to be too expensive.
ps. A little extra info for anyone with a partner like mine:
My wife enjoys music and is very satisfied with the basic (am/fm cass - no CD, no HiFi) factory radio in her 1999 CRV. I kept asking her to let me upgrade to better sound (it's her car, but I gotta ride in it on weekends). After 3 years of prodding I finally found two reasons she agreed would make it worth while for her.
1) I showed her how she could have all her favorite songs on a USB stick that plugs into the front of the radio. A task no harder than shoving her old cassettes tapes in.
2) She could get HD radio in the car. (I got her hooked on commercial free HD radio channels with a sweet Sony tuner I got last year and hooked up to the home stereo.) But, she only agreed as long as it was as easy to use, looked like a factory installed radio, and cost less than $150.
I wasn't sure I could do it an stay in budget but I found a Dual XHD7714 for $120 and enfig has some great prices on install kits.
Thanks for your help.
memfus_boi 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
i installed metra's 99-7898 in many of cars including mines. i have a 2000 crv. i installed those at (formerly known as) circuit city but in my crv they match the interior. but i have now the american international brand because i have a double din. but looks close to the original as well.
If I'm to loud, then you're too old!!!
gtboss 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
I just new someone had to know how one of these kits worked out. Thanks a bunch memfus for the info. I'm thinking the 99-7898 is the way to go too. Really appreciate your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic