issues with 560xv in 2004 gmc denali

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mlasarko 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Greetings,
I have a Viper 560XV that was professionally installed about two years ago by a reputable company... that is no longer in business... and I cannot reach the tech who did the work. I took this vehicle in to the dealership for a warranty repair (dealership is still in business for the moment) as I had done many, perhaps too many, times since the 560XV was installed. After many successful trips this time it came out of the dealer this visit with no remote start, no locks, etc... I do not know what exactly was done to violate the system, but all I get are ID10T lights - blink this - beep that - and no action!
The remote start engages, it turns on for a second or two then dies (immobilizer?). It will do this for the cycle, a couple few times and then it stops trying. The remotes are ack'd in that I get blinking lights for the door locks, but nothing locks. There was no aux/heater setup so all I know for sure is that the remote start and door locks seemed to 'break' at the same time. I think the remotes are good, both produce the same results and seem to communicate with the brain. The alarm history is not eventful either - checked per the install guide page 56 (yes, I have read this). Anyway, I guess you can't trigger the alarm if you can't activate it :)
One thing that I am not sure how to interpret - the factory door locks do work - they lock/unlock the doors - I honestly cannot say if this has been the case since the 560XV was installed as I never actually tested them myself before troubleshooting these issues. The factory power options all work correctly. I have OnStar in the vehicle but it is not used... reaching a bit here, maybe a byte, but considering all of my options regardless.
I have reviewed the valet functions, fuses, and so on per the installation guide. So far so good. Please note that I also have a 560XV in another vehicle so it may be helpful for me to know something more about these. I am a creature of binary habit and analog friendly. It would not be out of my subnet/frequency to connect a PC or Bitwriter to 'learn' a bit more about this, rip the vehicle apart, break something else as I fix this, etc... (just kidding about that last part, I hope?)
My questions are as follows:
1. Considering the year, make, and model of vehicle (2004 GMC Yukon Denali w/ 560XV) and the symptoms noted - immediately dies, seems to 'know' the remotes, lights flash, the factory remotes do lock/unlock the doors... is there anything obvious to look for (probably plenty, setting myself up for lots of interesting feedback here)
2. Is the PC serial config a valid (or better) way to go or should I invest in a Bitwriter (recall that I have a second like system installed in another vehicle, and may opt for a third similar system as a DIY project) - If PC anything special? If Bitwriter then what model specifically for the 560XV?
3. Any major gotchas NOT covered in the 560XV install guide or vehicle manufacturers' fine print?
I am sure I will have other questions - looking forward to your responses to get me started.
Thanks!
~M
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know what they used for a bypass/data module? The 04 GM Truck platform requires a data module for controlling the factory door locks/alarm/etc. If you can post back the make/model of the module used we can probably point you in the direction of a manual for it which would aid in your troubleshooting of the system.
You do not need to buy a bitwriter unless you are going to be installing a LOT of these. The bitwriter is nice, but almost all programmable options are covered by the programming menu.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
mlasarko 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
I am not sure what bypass module was used. It makes sense that it would be easier if I had that info. I will check the receipt, perhaps there are some specific part numbers on it. I was thinking I may have to draw it all out to identify all the pieces of the puzzle. thanks...
mlasarko 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
Updates:
- I verified the 560XV will go into and exit valet mode - LED goes solid - not sure if it means anything, but something 'works'
- The tach learn process will not complete, I never get the indicator (start the engine, press and hold the button, wait...) I waited for at least a minute - how long is this supposed to take (time range, YMMV?)
- The receipt from the installer has a 457GW GM passlock bypass - looks like a DEI part #
Thoughts?
mlasarko 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
Greetings,
I have a 2004 GMC Sierra with a remote starter (560XV, not sure if that is relevant). I have no real 'problem', but rather an annoyance that if I start it remotely when I put the key in the ignition the dome light flashes and I get 'driver door ajar' on my instrument cluster display.
The bypass is a DEI 457GW and it has behaved this way since it was installed. I am just getting into the detail a bit more due to a current issue with a system in one of my other vehicles.
Any pointers?
(for those of you who may have noticed my other recent post this is a different vehicle, different messages, on the other hand but different fingers)
Thanks in advance!
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
that is totally normal , using that Bypass module(457gw) That is design to turn off the RAP module once the starter turns off.  Simmilar to when you turn the car and open the door to shut off radio.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
usually programming the tach requires several seconds 2-3 definatly not more than 5
mlasarko 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
" I waited for at least a minute "
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Tach not programming: The original installation might have been done using voltage sensing. It's possible they're not hooked up to the tachometer wire.
I'm going to guess that for whatever reason the 457G has lost its programming. It's responsible for the doorlock control, as well as turning off the Passlock anti-theft system during remote start.
I haven't used a 457G, but many other databus modules lose their memory if battery power is disconnected.
I would drop the driver's dash (two 7mm bolts at the bottom edge, and two clips at the top), find teh 457G (black, smaller than a cigarette pack), find the instructions (search on this site), and try reprogramming it.
mlasarko 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
Tach not programming: The original installation might have been done using voltage sensing... It's responsible for the doorlock control, as well as turning off the Passlock anti-theft system during remote start... modules lose their memory if battery power is disconnected... try reprogramming it.
That is the kind of advice I was hoping for - THANKS!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic