< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wolfpack557 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

ok i have a X1200M

amplifer and (2) wiring amp and two woofers? -- posted image.KFC-XW12R

subwoofers

This is very confusing to me because the amp is capable of 1 ohm load and the speakers are 3 ohm dual voice coil.

When I turn them up it puts out sort of a burning smell and i paid to much money for these to blow them up.  If you could help me out with the wiring id be greatful thx.

mattb21 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
How do you have the subs wired right now?
wolfpack557 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
i have them in series ran to the one channel the amp offers
wolfpack557 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have checked over the wiring plenty of times, rewired them with new wire, and re wired them on the inside.  Im so confused and dont know where to begin, it hits desent but it puts off the smell
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
are you sure those subs are at more than 1 ohm? have you tried to meter them at the amp?if the subs are 3 ohm dual voice coil then chances are you have each sub at 1.5ohms, if you have the two subs wired together the same way then you amp is seeing something like .7 ohms, obviously less than 1 ohm. if you wire them a differently you will get a 3 ohm load, which is good for your amp but you wont get full power from it so you have a dilemma. i would suggest the best way to fix your problem is to get another amp and just have one amp per sub.
wolfpack557 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
last time i checked 2 3 ohm subs ran into series creates a 3 ohm load, and then once they both thit the same channel it turns into a 1.5 ohm load.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
 2 3 ohm speakers wired in series is 6 ohms
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
wolfpack557 wrote:
last time i checked 2 3 ohm subs ran into series creates a 3 ohm load, and then once they both thit the same channel it turns into a 1.5 ohm load.
they are 3 ohm DUAL voice coil. so its either he has each wired in series to make EACH 6 ohms, and if both are wired together in series that will give him a 12 ohm load. so im assuming that is NOT how it is wired and his description isn't completely right. if he ran them in series/parallel configuration, that would give him a 3 ohm total load and i dont see that causing the problems he is having, so i assumed he ran everything in parallel because this is the only way i see that would cause his amp to heat up other than something being wrong with his amp.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
use a series parallel configuration giving you 3 ohms at the amp you should not have a problem.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic