dual a/b amp vs mono d amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flogger11 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
"Why do you think A/B costs so much more than a Class D amp of the same power?" Could it be the reduction in heatsink/cooling requirements? Could it be the new surface mount devices with higher tolerances? Could it be Class D requires less components to create the same values?
Class D is the wave of the future like it or not. . . I have heard the Alpine PDX and would have zero problem replacing an A/B amp with it.

I have to admit to never hearing a modern class d on comps, but I would bet my PG ZX-450 chews up an alpine 150 watt x 4 PDX.  Maybe not as loud, but the PG is certainly a more transparent amp.  The reason that class d is the future for mid-fi is the price, cheaper to produce and cheaper to feed power.  class d will never replace an a/b design for top of the line, high budget SQ applications. IMHO.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
flogger11 wrote:

audiocableguy wrote:
"Why do you think A/B costs so much more than a Class D amp of the same power?" Could it be the reduction in heatsink/cooling requirements? Could it be the new surface mount devices with higher tolerances? Could it be Class D requires less components to create the same values?
Class D is the wave of the future like it or not. . . I have heard the Alpine PDX and would have zero problem replacing an A/B amp with it.

I have to admit to never hearing a modern class d on comps, but I would bet my PG ZX-450 chews up an alpine 150 watt x 4 PDX.  Maybe not as loud, but the PG is certainly a more transparent amp.  The reason that class d is the future for mid-fi is the price, cheaper to produce and cheaper to feed power.  class d will never replace an a/b design for top of the line, high budget SQ applications. IMHO.

You admit you have never heard one so your opinion means about as much as that of a toad.  Go listen and compare on similar systems and then you can make an informed statement.  Otherwise, you simply come off sounding like a fanboy.

Support the12volt.com
flogger11 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
I said i havent heard a modern, as in PDX, class d on a set of comps, just on subs. So my opinion may have a touch more meaning than a toads.  As far as the ZX-450 being a cleaner amp than an alpine pdx,  now that i would put money on. Class D, yuck.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
If you've never heard it, then YOUR OPINION IS WORTH A TOAD'S, ya fanboy! (just to make DYohn's comment stick!) You cannot say you don't like something if you've never experienced it. Food, drink, or amplifiers... You cannot comment and be meaningful or even remotely informed!
I have already told you that Class D is more expensive to implement effectively, it is OBVIOUS that you never read any of the thread up to this point... If we were talking in person, I'd tell you straight-up that this was an A-B conversation, so C your way out.
If you happen to live in Cali, I will DRIVE TO YOU to let you hear what properly implemented Class D sounds like. I can promise you, (and I have been listening to and owning TRUE high-end audio for possibly longer than you have been alive) that you would have no problem hearing the fantastic audio quality and attention to detail in the PDX amps.
Huh... A whole 72 watts for your highs, huh? (Oh, I'm sorry... 350, IF you are running 13.8V and 2 ohms... Well, if you are, there goes your precious damping factor...) I run two and a half times that to my 8 ohm midbass drivers... EACH! (Don't talk to me about damping...) 31 bands of true parametric EQ, 48dB crossover slopes, three-ways in the doors, a single 10" TCSounds ISO loaded stuffed TL in the trunk... Oh, wait... THAT'S designed with as high an impedance as possible, as well...! (Again, don't talk to me about damping...) Now, we can go all day one-upmanshipping each other, but I can GUARANTEE you that there are only a few people on this board that have ever taken the time to go to the lengths that I did to make my system sound as good in their car as ANYTHING they have ever heard in the home. You are NOT talking to the John Q. Public Car Stereo Guy, here. My system was quite critically reviewed by an iASCA sound quality judge, who listens to Martin-Logan electrostats in his living room, (I myself have Bohlender Graebner 52" ribbons in my living room) and I was told to RUN, not walk, to the next SQ competition, and "get this thing in those sound-offs".
My system was built from the ground up with imaging, frequency response, headroom and linearity built in. EVEN YOU would not be able to tell that the amps are PDX amplifiers. I have had two driver engineers from Harman International in Northridge listen to my system, as well as five members from this very forum listen to my system. I defend it's capabilities quite aggressively. I will not say that the ZX is an incapable amplifier, they are not, BUT that is technology from a day when Phoenix Gold gave a crap... You WILL NOT be able to put anything PG against decent Class D today, and prefer it - it's crap now. I have heard more than a few people say that it is the best sounding car stereo they have ever heard, and one of those people was a Zapco owner.
My offer still stands. I will drive to you.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

So, who else was born in '68?   dual a/b amp vs mono d amp - Page 3 -- posted image.

BTW, toads have opinions too.  And frogger11 is ent....frogger?  heh

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

So, who else was born in '68?   dual a/b amp vs mono d amp - Page 3 -- posted image.

i think it's flogger, as in, someone who beats people with whips. i dont get it either
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
OOh, OOh, I was, I was... dual a/b amp vs mono d amp - Page 3 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic