icon

would this wreck the wiring kit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
laughnowqqlater 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
if u would put the positive wire to the ground terminal and the ground wire to the positive terminal on an amp.. i know this would wreck the amp but would it also wreck the wires as well(like melt them or basically make it so u would have to buy a new amp wiring kit)? or would it only wreck the amp?
djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

I might have done this before......didnt fry my amp or wiring. Your wiring at least should be fine I would just check the fuse on your Positive

laughnowqqlater 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
fuses are fine.. none blew.. all that happened was i had the 2 ground wires that i was going to connect than put onto my cap.. when i touched them together and they made a huge spark and kinda melted where i touched them together(kinda like if u were welding something).. i had the positive already hooked up to the cap.. but no ground was touching it so i hope i didnt wreck that too.. but i know that the amp is a goner because i hooked it up correctly and i have to turn the gain up half way just to get it to do anything at all and when it kicks on all it does is a steady bass sound.. no beat.. just a loud steady bass... kinda weird actually never seen it happen before?
but i dont think that the cap got effected? it had no ground hooked up to it.. just pos.. and i was wondering if the wiring would be wrecked because of the melting of the tips that i touched together.. i cant believe i did it but i was in a hurry and i just got done rewiring my car =/ with all new wires lol.. so i hope the wires arent wrecked
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
wire should be fine. Did you have the power wire fused at the battery? (This is the whole reason for that fuse, to protect the Power and ground wire) Also what type of amp do you have? Did you check all fuses for the amp?
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
for future reference lets ground everything before you power it. I think that is the proper way to to it on everything(not sure about caps) but i know i have ruined one(which is one too many) pioneer decks by running a hot power wire before a ground
ca$ino 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yes everything is always to be grounded before powering...
Look twice, think thrice, 1 splice/ 1 slice!
This is a phrase i came up with and something i will now live by.
laughnowqqlater 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
oic yeah i had the power wire fused at the battery.. and thanks for letting me know to ground first.. never knew that.. but i think the cap is fine.. i hope so anyways.. it turns on normally and when the amp would have a steady bass.. it made the cap do work... and i watched it take power and than power back up..
i think the wires are ok too now after looking at them in the daylight..
still not sure about the amp.. i dont think its any fuses because when i turn the gain up.. i have to get it to about half way than the subs kick on.. and it is just a steady bass.. it does not have a beat with the song... maybe its a fuse tho.. i will check it out... the amp was pretty new.. not even a week old.. if there is any chance that it might not be fried.. plz help :D
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

did you have your RCA's connected before you grounded and after you attatched power?

laughnowqqlater 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
im not 100% sure.. i think i did have the RCA's in.. but i unplugged them and redid them.. after i hooked it up correctly.. still does the same thing.. 1/2 gain and it just puts out a steady bass
laughnowqqlater 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
i also checked the fuses on the amp.. all are fine..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic