icon

monitor flushed in glove box lid.?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skeeler 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys! I am a newbie here and had a couple of questions. Again thanks in advance.
Here is what I am looking to do. I have a glove box lid from my boat that I would like to put an lcd monitor in. I have work with fiberglass before but never carbon fiber. Here are the questions I was looking for help on;
1) I plan on attaching the headrest shroud to the glove box lid, but would be the best adhesive to accomplish this?
2) I want to blend the shroud into the lid with some material. Would Duramix be the best item for this?
3) I would like to wrap the whole thing in carbon fiber or something similar. Anybody have some tips on applying this?
4) what prep work do I need to do to the lid before I start on it. It is obviously very smooth.
Thanks again!!!!
monitor flushed in glove box lid.? -- posted image.
monitor flushed in glove box lid.? -- posted image.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
use duramix to adhere it to the glove box cover. the SMC/fiberglass recipe will work awesome. if you want the whole thing to be carbon fiber like the original, you need to then proceed to make the piece you have just constructed into whats called a "plug". having already worked with fiberglass you probably are already familiar with this process. once your plug is perfect and finished, use it to make a "mold". after the mold is complete and perfect, get yourself some carbon fiber and the clear resin. you lay in the carbon fiber in your mold and pour in the resin and squegee it all down removing any air bubbles or wrinkles in the carbon fiber, then just let dry and pop it out of the mold. now you have a complete carbon fiber piece that should have the identical shape of your plug that you made earlier.
skeeler 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks ckeeler for the response. Pretty clear on everything, but fill me in on the "SMC/fiberglass Recipe". monitor flushed in glove box lid.? -- posted image. Thanks again!!
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
duramix makes several different types of epoxies. some dry softer and others harder some are paintable some not and different ones are made to bond different materials like plastic, metal, rubber, abs, ect. the one that is most likely going to work best for you is the "SMC/ fiberglass" one that they make, it will say "SMC/fiberglass" right on the duramix tube.
skeeler 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Any input on what I should use to "blend in" and smooth the areas leading up to the monitor shroud that can be sanded and smoothed in? Thanks again!
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
i would use either fiberglass or body filler. body filler will be easier to work with as far as getting the shape you want but will need more attention near the finish so that when you lay the fiberglass over your piece to make the mold, when you pull the two pieces apart no body filler from the plug is stuck to the mold. what i like to do is, once i have the shape of my plug, i thinly paint on 1 or 2 layers of finishing resin (using no matting) over the whole entire thing to "seal it in". once its dry, sand out the little brush marks and any other imperfections in the surface resin with 400 grit and wax it up really good for your mold. if you get really crazy and decide to make many, many copies from the mold for mass production, like i do, go one step further, after the top layers of finishing resin are sanded smooth, paint the entire piece with automotive clear coat so as to seal it in again and make the surface like glass. then when dry, polish it and wax it like you normally would to get it ready to build the mold. now, when you make the mold you make it thicker than you normaly would being you are going to use it for many copies, and......instead of normal resin, use "tooling resin". then after the mold  is made and cleaned out, use a wax remover to remove any wax from the mold and then lightly sand the surfaces with 400 grit and clean it again. then, once more clear coat the inside of the mold and let dry and polish. now the inside of the mold should be perfectly smooth and shiny!! perfect for waxing and laying in fiberglass or carbon fiber for making a perfect part every time! because you are making your finished part out of carbon fiber and not fiberglass, i recommend you clear coat the inside of your mold as i described in the last step for making a production mold regardless. and also because its going to be carbon fiber, use  PVA on the mold side before you lay in the carbon fiber rather than wax. wax will be fine on the "plug to mold" side. on the "mold to finished part" side spraying on PVA would be better (wax will work if its all you can get).
skeeler 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks again for the input. I may take a new approach to the whole thing. Let me know what you think of this and the process;
Steps:
1) Rough the piece up with 80 or 100 grit sand paper.
2) Cut the opening for the monitor shroud.
3) Attach the monitor shroud with epoxy or Duramix.
4) Smooth and blend up to the shroud with Rage Gold body filler.
5) Repeat step 4 as needed.
6) Sand and smooth completely.
7) Wrap entire piece with Carbon Fiber vinyl using this stuff;
http://www.rvinyl.com/wrapkits/vinyl/carbonfiber.htm
The reason I was thinking of using the vinyl was, one to keep the cost down and two to minimize the work load. Plus I have seen this used on similar pieces and like the way it looked.
What do you think?
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

go for it. theres more than one way to skin a cat, and if it works and its what you want, then i say why not? monitor flushed in glove box lid.? -- posted image.

ca$ino 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
i'd like to see the outcome
Look twice, think thrice, 1 splice/ 1 slice!
This is a phrase i came up with and something i will now live by.
skeeler 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
I have documented the whole process with pictures. I have been very pleased with the out come thus far should have it finished up tomorrow. I will keep ya all posted.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic