icon

extending remote start wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ek4kid 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
The reason why I wanna put the alarm in a different location is because I drive a civic hatch and under the colum there's no space to hide the big brain of the compustar. Right now I have it tucked in the kick panel wich is really exposed if someone were to into my car. So I'm thinking to re rout it and then put some factory loom around wires. Just some peace of mind for me if its more hidden. Iv seen some stealth installs and I want to do something similar.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
ok well lemme see if i can help, if the wires you wanna extend are connecting directly to the heavy gauge wires in the car, then you can just extend them as i said ealier same gauge or heavier if you want to, if however the wires are trigerring relays then what kevin is saying is you can simply mount the relays under the dash close to the ignition harness in the car, and all you would have to do is extend the trigger wires for the relay,
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I regularly clamp ampmeter wires from the starters you would be suprised how low the current draw is on most wires even though they use heavy wire.

Usually the parking lights draw more than any other switched power.

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of vehicle is this? And why do you want to relocate the brain? Is it strictly for security purposes, so a thief can't find it?
ek4kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
[Bt&t tech - i was thinking to hide the brain somewhere not under the dash and then the relay i will put under the dash soo id just extend basically wtv wires going to the brain. trigger wires would be the wires that are the ones connecting to brain right? i duno the actual terms. sorry.
CutDog504 - yup exactly.. cuz iv put over 14gs into the car.. motor swap alone is 10g... and all the other stuff in my car is 4+. sooo yeah just for extra security i guess? i wanna tuck the brain somewhere that isnt under the dash kinda setup. i drive a 96 honda civic hatch.
i kno hiding it is prolly overkill? but it just gives u that kind of peace of mind right? that u know FORSURE your car will STILL be at the movie parking lot after a show.. haha. im always sketched out after i come out.
thanx for the replies guys
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  

sorry for confusing you, all the wires at some point will connect to the brain, but if your wires are low current trigger wires used to activate relays that invert polarity then what we're sayin is you would simply have to lengthen these thin gauge wires and locate the trigger relays for the remote start close to the connection points which would result in you not having to extend  the heavy gauge wires,i'm not famliar with the unit you have, so answer me this, is the wires you you want to lengthen heavy gauge or light gauge.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
ek4kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
the wires i wanna lengthen are heavy gauge. i can attach a picture. and it is 2 relays connected to the unit.
extending remote start wires? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
and
first image : first far right connector are the thick gauge im tryna extend.
second image : far right top corner is the whole wires / relays im tryna extend.
hope that clears things up a bit
ek4kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
second picture ddnt show up, ill try again:
thats the wires in the top right corner with the 2 relays.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  

So your remote start wires are internal to the brain.  I don't know what the other two relays are - possibly starter kill and trunk pop or even door locks? 

I personally don't think you'll gain anything by doing what you want to do - it won't make the care more secure - it will just make the installation more difficult and give the installation a much higher chance of failure (and could possibly cause issues with the car).

If you are dead set on extending those wires though, I would go with Lonerangers advice and at least go up one wire size.  Make sure you solder all the connections (any other type of splice in this application is begging for failure) and insulate the splices well.

Kevin Pierson
ek4kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
hmm well don't you think that if a brain is visible to the theif itll be easy for them to just rip it out? rahter than me hiding the brain? i mean iv installed smaller unit's and those you can actualy hide under the dash high up. But this brain is sooo big i couldnt even hide it. sooo therefor i wanna extend those wires and hide it somewhere thats hard to get to. have you seen this site:

he basically installs systems that are not under the dash. if it is it will be behind the cluster wich is very hard to get to.
i just dont see a point in an alarm system that someone can see with minimal effort to get to you know?
thanx for quick replies
Jay
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic