icon

alpine type r swr 1242d

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
danger3sqn 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2009 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Seriously, just make your own box. That way you can get the right volume for the particular sub, as opposed to a prefab one which (as was pointed out) will more than likely not be the ideal volume. It says in the spec sheet that came with the sub what the ideal internal volume is, so just work out how big the box needs to be and go from there. Also good in that you can build a box that nicely fits your boot (or wherever its going) so its not gonna slide around etc.
Not sure about costs over in the US, but here in New Zealand it worked out about the same price to make my own...takes a bit of work but is worth the effort
whitemike0110 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
The perfect box for a 12 type r is a 2 cubic foot box tuned to 34hz. Build it. Use the calculators on this site to see how big the port has to be. I'd do a slot port if i were you. I have two Type R's and i put them each in their own box and they pound.
Hello.
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
what about that ported box i put up on the last page from Sonicelectronix. but it doesnt tell what the tuning frequency. should i get it? or the sealed one.
bradinar 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

If possible I would see if you could find a local shop with a type r in a sealed box and a ported box so you can compare them.  Some people like ported enclosures and some don't.  You will definately get more spl out of a ported box but you may not like the type of bass it produces.  As others have said if possible build your own box.  It really isn't that difficult if you can get a table saw and a router. 

I have two type r 12's on a JL 1000/1 and Iove them.  I built a sealed box with about 1.05 cu ft per sub which is almost exactly to specs but I really feel they would have sounded better in a slightly larger box, say 1.25ish cu ft each.  I think it would be hard to beat type r's for the price range they are in. 

imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2009 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
well. i just want to be notice and hard bass, but not to the point where i cant hear the words and the words sound terrible. their is a pre-fab box online with a internal volume of 1.8, but i dont know the port size. i tried calling them about that info, but still waiting on the call. also they are selling a sealed pre-fabs, a 1.0 cu. ft. and 1.21 cu. ft. if i get it in a bigger sealed box will it sound good outside the car? thanks.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic