not as easy as i thought, carvox 2300

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oeyjay 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  

Not as easy as I thought it would be.

I imagine these questions have been answered time and time again on this forum. 

I recently bought a CarVox 2300 from eBay.  Figured the price was good and it had what I was looking for.  Remote starter, keyless entry plus more.

This weekend I pulled it out of the box, read the instructions, found wiring diagrams from here along with a few other places on the net for my 2008 Tacoma.  Took some time, read through the manual and took notes on where each wire was located.

Once I pulled everything out and started working, it took some time, but I found every wire that was listed and then hooked it all up.

Problems:  First with the remote starter.  When I hit the appropriate buttons, the horn beeps like it suppose to, the dash lights up and everything acts correctly except nothing else happens.

From what I have read here, there is something about a second starter wire along with a relay.

“The alarm system only has one wire for the starter?”

With the alarm, I did get a relay but no instructions on how to hook it up or what it was used for. 

Also, do I need something extra seeing that I have a chip in my truck key?  Does that mess with anything?

Would appreciate any help I can get.   Thanks.

Joey
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
You have to use the signal from the first starter wire to power up a relay to engage the second starter wire. Do you know how to use relays?
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
You will also need to fit an immobiliser by-pass for that vehicle also if there is a factory alarm, you will have to shut that down without unlocking the vehicle when R/S is engaged. Ref  second starter:- Output 2300 to 1st. starter, branch off this wire to relay 86, ground to 85, 12volts fused at least 20amps to 30 and 87 to 2nd. starter wire.
oeyjay 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know much about relays or anything when it comes to the electrical aspect.  I know the mechanics and metal working side and so forth.  Love the old cars but the new ones and all the relays and diode’s…  That I am in the dark with.

Joey
oeyjay 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
You will also need to fit an immobiliser by-pass for that vehicle also if there is a factory alarm, you will have to shut that down without unlocking the vehicle when R/S is engaged. Ref  second starter:- Output 2300 to 1st. starter, branch off this wire to relay 86, ground to 85, 12volts fused at least 20amps to 30 and 87 to 2nd. starter wire.

Can you exsplain this agian in a way that I can use it.  Don't know what an immobilister by-pass is. 

Joey
oeyjay 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

I ran down to the local car alarm installer and asked a few questions and pick-up a Immobilizer interface and asked a few questions.  All went well and was very informative.  The only question I did not get answered was in regards to the two starter wires and the relay hook-up.

Can someone explain to me how this needs to be wired in.

The relay I have has two small wires; I think are red and yellow, along with two heavy green wires.

What do I need to hook them up too.

Thanks for the help.

Joey
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Red to existing starter output, yellow to ground, 1 green to perm 20amp, other to second starter, this is all wrong I need to know what terminal numbers on the relay that these leads go to, if you can't tell me, don't even attempt to do this on your own.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic