Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdalphin 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

Amplifier - Hifonics Brutus BXi2608D

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P7000BT

2 x 12" Subs - Alpine SWR-1242D, Rockford Fosgate P3D412, Clarion PXW1252, JBL Power Series P1224, or 2 Kicker Solobaric L7

Wiring Kit - The Install Bay AK02 or The Install Bay AK01

That help?  The reason I have so many subs listed, is because I'm looking for good quality, as well as some power to get things moving/virbrating.  Lol.

jdalphin 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
I do appologize for the tripple post, but I just found out the P7000BT is discontinued.  Replace that with the P6000UB by Pioneer.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ummm... you won't find a lot of Pioneer fans here, either...
WHATEVER YOU DO, AND THIS IS IMPERATIVE!!! Remove the negative battery cable from the battery BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE PIONEER RADIO! I stress that like I do, because if you don't, you run a FAR better-than-even-chance of popping the ground traces in the outputs of your deck, and ending up with nasty alternator whine.
Pioneer has never fixed this issue, and there are no problems (generally) with them, except this. Not my first choice in decks, but aight, on a budget. Also, you'll have to remember to remove the terminal whenever you connect or disconnect your RCA cables.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jdalphin 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Well...for me, the deck will get the job done.  Now, on the topic of subs.  How do the ones I listed above look?  Good quality subs, or are they SPL?
jdalphin 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'm leaning towards the hifonics subs because they are cheaper, but I also like the SPL sub I found.
Amp #1 = Crunch p1500.1 (RMS 750 x 1 @ 1ohm here)
Amp #2 = Power Acoustik BAMF-2000/1D (RMS 1200 x 1 @ 1ohm here)
Subs #1 = Hifonics B12D4 (600W RMS, Dual 4-ohm here)
Subs #2 = SPL SP2-12 (600W RMS, Dual 4-ohm here)
I'm leaning towards the PA amp as it will hit the RMS of both subs w/ 1200 watt RMS, and it's peak output is well below the max of both subs. What do you guys think? Good setup? And I'm thinking a ported box with a 3" diameter port tuned to 34hz with a volume of 2.6 ft^3 (31 x 14 x 14. It's the best I can do with the doodiety cargo space I have in my car.) made out of 3/4" MDF. The biggest box I could fit in my car is 32.5 x 15.5 x 14, and that's stretching it.
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not a fan of Hifonics and I'm sure a lot of other people on here feel the same. I don't totally disown them as there is much worse out there but you can do better.
From what I understand this system is designed more for SPL/loudness then sound quality. Although I do understand you are looking for a daily driver and not a competition vehicle.
To start with, look into some new companies. Yes the brands you are looking at are cheaper but there is a reason for that. You can get some better equipment for not much more. Look at a couple of the brands below and see if there is something you like.
FI Car Audio - www.ficaraudio.com
Audioque - www.audioque.com
Digital Designs - www.ddaudio.com
There are plenty more as well...
The subs you are looking at are not bad but you can do better. The Type-Rs, Rockford Fosgates, and JBLs are not going to be "loud" setups. I quoted loud because it depends on your personal opinion. To me those setups are more then enough to satisfy most people. However, if you are looking for loudness and possible roof flexing then you to look at different subs. The Kickers would be closer to what you may be looking for. The other brands I listed would also have subs better for that type of loudness.
The AK01 amp kit is a pretty nice kit. I have used it in a couple of installs and works well for a cheaper 1/0 gauge amp kit.
jdalphin 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'm gonna have to go against what you recommended. I'm on a REALLY tight budget at the moment. What I have settled on is the:
1 x Power Acoustik BAMF-2000/1D amp (1200 watts RMS @ 1 ohm, 2000 Max)
2 x SPL SP2-12 12" 4 Ohm DVC (600 watt RMS, 1400 watt MAX)
1 x Install Bay AK4 (4 Gauge)
1 x Pioneer DEH-4000UB head unit w/ GEX-P10HD HD tuner
One guy said to go with a 600 watt amp for those subs, which in my mind was completely way to low. I then contacted Crutchfield, and they said to get the RF T1500-1bd amp (which is way the hell out of my price range). 1500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm confirmed my thought. So, I dug up the PA BAMF-2000/1D amp which you can see it's specs above. My final questions are:
1) Will that amp be perfectly fine for the subs I want? RMS is covered. 300 watts per voice coil (600 per sub), and if it was hitting its peak power, it'd only be 1000 watts per sub. So it looks safe to me. What do you guys think?
2) Will that install kit work with that amp? At Sonic Electronix, under the Accessories tab, it shows two different 4 gauge kits.
3) The box I have described below, will that be good? Tuning gonna give me what I want? And enough air for the subs? Oh, and which way should I have the subs in it? Towards the roof, or towards the back?
Box Type: Ported
Port Diam: 3"
Port Length: 4" approx (tuning = 34hz)
Volume: 2.6 ft^3 (31" x 14" x 14")
Material: 3/4" MDF
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
In low quality defense....Id like to Opiniarian that: High quality not professionally installed is worse than low quality installed without professionalism!   Anyone seen my 3rd star? Dammit! Who's butt I gotta kiss for another star?
This is what I do for FUN!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
In low quality defense....Id like to Opiniarian that: High quality not professionally installed is worse than low quality installed without professionalism!   Anyone seen my 3rd star? Dammit! Who's butt I gotta kiss for another star?

you gotta be a leiutenant  before you can be a general man.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

jdalphin wrote:
I'm gonna have to go against what you recommended. I'm on a REALLY tight budget at the moment. What I have settled on is the:
1 x Power Acoustik BAMF-2000/1D amp (1200 watts RMS @ 1 ohm, 2000 Max)
2 x SPL SP2-12 12" 4 Ohm DVC (600 watt RMS, 1400 watt MAX)
1 x Install Bay AK4 (4 Gauge)
1 x Pioneer DEH-4000UB head unit w/ GEX-P10HD HD tuner
One guy said to go with a 600 watt amp for those subs, which in my mind was completely way to low. I then contacted Crutchfield, and they said to get the RF T1500-1bd amp (which is way the hell out of my price range). 1500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm confirmed my thought. So, I dug up the PA BAMF-2000/1D amp which you can see it's specs above. My final questions are:
1) Will that amp be perfectly fine for the subs I want? RMS is covered. 300 watts per voice coil (600 per sub), and if it was hitting its peak power, it'd only be 1000 watts per sub. So it looks safe to me. What do you guys think?
2) Will that install kit work with that amp? At Sonic Electronix, under the Accessories tab, it shows two different 4 gauge kits.
3) The box I have described below, will that be good? Tuning gonna give me what I want? And enough air for the subs? Oh, and which way should I have the subs in it? Towards the roof, or towards the back?
Box Type: Ported
Port Diam: 3"
Port Length: 4" approx (tuning = 34hz)
Volume: 2.6 ft^3 (31" x 14" x 14")
Material: 3/4" MDF

make sure you set your gains the right way and dont abuse your subs too much and you should be fine. i understand not everybody is looking for top of the line equipment but in my opinion you CAN do better. everything that's shiny isn't gold.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic