icon

why so hard to find stdp relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
californiaplaya 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
I ordered a relay harness for a new HID system and the relay harness didn't come with a relay   why so hard to find stdp relay? -- posted image. . No problem I thought, I'd just figure out what I need a take quick run to the automotive store. So, by doing a bit of research, I determined that the relay I need is called a STDP looks like (although I'd prefer Tyco if I can find it): why so hard to find stdp relay? -- posted image.
That quick run to the store turned into an adventure visiting eight different stores and still coming back empty handed. I find SPST, DPDT, and DTSP So, I get back online to find more information, and I really don't see much mention of STDP automotive relays, except in reference to HID systems. I checked TYCOs website and a few sellers who are referenced on this site and other places and don't see anything. So, am I even looking for the right thing? Or can something else be made to work? I don't know much about relays, but don't think a SPST or DTSP would work. Can a DPDT be used and just not use the 5th terminal?
Thanks!!!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
STDP may be a little tricky to locate.  But you should have no trouble finding a SPDT relay.   You should be able to find one at any stereo shop.   A DPDT relay will have 8 terminals.  If the relay simply turns the HIDs on and does not control any other lamps, a SPST relay will do that.  It just does not have the 5th terminal.
californiaplaya 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
So I can use 1 spst for two lights? I thought maybe the reason for stdp was because its being used for two ballasts...but just a guess. So yes, the harness is being only used for two HID ballasts. I'll give a SPST a try.
Thank you!!!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
and just for reference, that relay pictured is a SPST relay, not a STDP.
Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Traditionally the number of poles is listed first, and then the number of throws. So a double pole, single throw relay would be DPST.
Kevin's right, the one pictured is only a SPST, since it has only one common terminal, going to only one contact.
If you really needed a DPST, you could just use two relays with the coils wired together.
The only things you need to be concerned with is that whatever you're controlling them with is able to handle two relays, and the relays are rated to handle the current you need to switch.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

Just use 2 relays

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
pedrodagr8 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am brand new here, just found it today researching relay pop. Anyways, I usually help out in designing relay harnesses over at HIDplanet, so I am familiar with this topic.
99% of the time, unless you are doing something complex, you only need a SPST relay for a relay harness. On the harness I use, I use TWO relays, simply because I am controlling a bixenon headlight and used the second relay to control the bixenon solenoids. The first relay by itself powers my ballasts (Denso's) perfectly fine.
As someone else mentioned the relay shown is a SPST. Like I said before, pin 87a is almost NEVER used in relay harnesses and I see no need for seperate lines for each ballast.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Did you get a solution for your relay pop?
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
pedrodagr8 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I read about using a diode to take care of the coil field collapse. That section actually was what drew me here. It was well detailed and easy to understand. Hopefully, using that diode will work (need to get to my relays now, which are hidden in a waterproof box in my bumper).
I have started reading here more to get a more in depth understanding of electronics and must say this site is almost overwhelming in the amount of knowledge.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
You can install the diodes at the switch or whatever triggers the relay.  It may work a touch better if they were at the relay, but if it is that much of a problem to get to the relays, you can try at the switch.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic