icon

My speakers in water?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ggrizzle 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am wanting to make an illusion of my spaekers being in water. The back of my box (the side that faces the trunk) is paneled in plexiglass. Then I want to put a "box" about three inches thick and as tall as the box in front of the plexiglass and then a trim panel around and in front of that. That way when you look from the trunk in, you will see the panel of water( with bubbles floating in it) and then beyond that you will see my speaker maganets. Sorry if it sounds confusing, but my problem is that I don't want the water in the three inch thick "box" to get cloudy and dirty. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to put in the water so it doesn't get dirty. Or if I can put someting besides water. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time and support.
g.g.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
That’s a crazy, but very creative idea. If decide to use water you are bound to have bacteria eventually build up inside your water. If you get sunlight you’ll have green algae growing on your plexiglass. If you have a fish tank near the window you'll probably know what I am talking about. What you can do it put a bit of bleach in your water to slow this process down so that it won’t cloud your water that quickly.   Good luck.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.My speakers in water? -- posted image.
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
I'd just say may the water very acdic, some bleech will help and also you can buy at a pet store alage destroyer that works very very well just put the whole bottle in along with water clarifier. That should make the water stay clean for awhile
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

In theory, wouldn't distilled water, filled in the tank while under a vacuum (so that no air is inside it), and sealed airtight, prevent any bacteria/mold from building up?  Or maybe I'm just thinking of something else, who knows...

Maybe you could use something like this so that you wouldn't have to constantly open everything up to clean it:

http://www.lo-chlor.com.au/mclr.html

Cept you'd have to use a really small block, and I dunno if this product needs to have moving/flowing water in order to work, or if you can just have it sit in water.  Worth a look though...  And of course the standard liquid type pool water clarifier would work too.

ggrizzle 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I would like to have the water sealed tight so it doesn't spill and I would also like not to have to change anything for a while. I could live with changing the water like once a year or something, but any more than that it would almost be more trouble than it's worth. Also if it is air tight how/can the bubble bar produce bubbles. I have 15 inch bubble bar and a pump from a pet supply place hooked to a 110 inverter. The same way of hooking a PS2 in a car. There is a small hole drilled in the bottom of the tank with the air hose to the bar entering there and it is siliconed shut.   

Bleach, that's a good idea. Wouldn't bleach always keep the water clean. It is a chemical and I don't think it would ever quit working at it. I don't know just a thought. Hey, thanks for the info and any more would help if anyone has anything.

g.g.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
If you sealed the top and have the whole thing airtight you won't be able to produce any bubble because the pressure on the outside is much greater than the inside. You might want to put a little hole on the top to relieve the pressure. Also, you have to take into account of the water evaporating if you relieve the pressure to have the bubble working. Just another point I thought you might want to consider.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.My speakers in water? -- posted image.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

My bad didn't notice your part about it needing to produce bubbles.  Back to the drawing board...

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
lol...
esmith, you are correct about distilled water...theoretically, if it is an air tight seal and there is no air present in the chamber, distilled water would never discolor or produce bacteria or algae...
and bleach will work to keep it clean, but it doesnt work forever and ever...its qualities get negated through the cleaning process...anyone who has owned a hot tub or worked in a public pool will know about that, heh...
and thepencil hit the nail on the head as well...for the bubbles, you would need a vent, and with a vent, evaporation will occur and you will constantly be losing water...and unless you vent to the outside of the car, it could lead to condensation and/or corrosion to/for/on some of the stereo equipment in your car...but, on that same hand, if you do make a little vent leading somewhere to the outside of the car, you could alos use that as a filler tube to keep the water level topped off...just be careful in the winter if you live in an area where it gets cold...the water may freeze and burst its tank...
acq810z 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

Only a suggestion but couldnt you use a 1 way valve to allow the air to be pumped through but nothing allowed to come back in.  Kind of like what an maunal air pump would have (only in reverse)  this would still allow you to have air bubles and the pressure would be released but not allow anything back in.  Keep in mind too that if you have air going through no matter how sealed or what type of water the air probably wont be pure and will have bacteria in it so you would need something like bleach (as suggested) but then you have other probems if you have a vent such as Big Purds suggested as well as mosture in the air of the car so you would probably have foged windows too.   Just some thoughts.....

~Q

vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you need a vent at all? Couldent you have a 1/2" gap of air at the top and suck the air for your pump form this, so the system as a whole is completely sealed and your just taking the air from the top and putting it through the bubble bar at the bottom? I think you all are making this harder then it seems, or maybe I have no idea...it could really go either way. =)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic