Amp Problem - Please Help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mfronczak 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'd like to ask a question.  About 3 years ago, I purchased a V12 Alpine amp and 2 10" Orion subwoofers and had them professionally installed.

I recently purchased  a new vehicle, so I took the subs and amp out of my old car and had them installed in the new one - again, working great.  However, the installers left the amp laying on the floor under the passenger seat.  I didn't like this, so I went to a friends house and we built a bracket that attaches to the floor and seat frame.  The amp is now up off of the floor, and farther under the seat where someone can't kick it.  I drove home and everything seemed fine.  However, this morning I noticed that the sound had gotten really bad.  I did some checking and found that only 1 of the subs was working (and didn't seem to be working well).  I played around with the speaker wires, switching sides made the other speaker work so I know the speakers are okay.  When I disconnect the left rca cable, the one speaker keeps working.  When I disconnect the right one, they both cut out.  If I switch the positions of the rca's, the same speaker works.  So, I've basically determined that something happened to the amp and that one of the channels is dead.  My questions are: 1) did I do something to cause this or is it age-related, 2) Is there a problem bolting the amp to the seat frame, 3) should I bother getting this amp fixed or should I just get a new one?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

mfronczak 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

Quick Update: I had another amp that I forgot about.  I hooked it up, and I'm having the exact same problem: only 1 speaker will work no matter which rca cable I have plugged in.  So, clearly the problem is not with the amp.

I'm really confused now, I know that both of the speakers work but I can't get them to work at the same time.  Any ideas?

themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
check your ground and power connections. Also, take a DMM and check each sub make sure you ethier have 2 or 4 ohms on each.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Also check the RCA output from the headunit (if it is aftermarket). If the headunit is factory, more than likely the installers added a Line Out Converter (converts high level output into low level RCA). Track the RCA's back as far as they go to find where they installed it (again unless its an aftermarket headunit with RCA pre-outs) and check the connections and voltage. If you have tried 2 amps and the problem persists, the problem could lie there
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
thug833 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

Soudns like you might have shorted out your amp if you used a metal mountign braket it could have upset your grounding setup, jsut a htough try tacking it off the rack and replacing your fuses

Wantofok 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
He just said that It wasn't his amp. The problem most likely lies in the connections.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic