515 siren with backup battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
67stang 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hey folks,
This has a wire bundle containing Black, Red, Green and Purple wires. Either no instruction sheet was included or it was misplaced. Anyone here have the sheet for this and perhaps tell me where the wires should tie in?
I've got the new Viper 5901 car alarm going into a newly custom wired 67 Mustang.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1967 Mustang: Built 351w Roller, 4-Speed Toploader, Coil-over Front Suspension, Power R&P,
9+ Currie w/TrueTrac 3:25, Ron Francis Wiring, 4-Wheel Disk Brakes, Vintage Air Heat & A/C,
& so much more!
67stang 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
Well I heard back from the place I bought the module from and they confirmed that no instruction sheet comes with this module. How nice.
1967 Mustang: Built 351w Roller, 4-Speed Toploader, Coil-over Front Suspension, Power R&P,
9+ Currie w/TrueTrac 3:25, Ron Francis Wiring, 4-Wheel Disk Brakes, Vintage Air Heat & A/C,
& so much more!
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
Red goes to constant +12v
Black goes to ground
Green would be connected to a (-) siren output. This wire is not used with a 5901
Purple would be connected to a (+) siren output. This wire is brown on the Viper 5901.
I always tap the red and black wires close to their respective wires on the alarm brain. Usually a couple inches from the brain. I usually connect the red of the 515r between the alarm brain and 15 amp fuse holder.
67stang 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm wrote:
Red goes to constant +12v
Black goes to ground
Green would be connected to a (-) siren output. This wire is not used with a 5901
Purple would be connected to a (+) siren output. This wire is brown on the Viper 5901.
I always tap the red and black wires close to their respective wires on the alarm brain. Usually a couple inches from the brain. I usually connect the red of the 515r between the alarm brain and 15 amp fuse holder.
Many thanks for the reply. Its what I figured however I didn't know which was for a +/- ground system. My understanding of this unit is that if the Viper 5910 is set off both the primary siren and this one are activated. If the 5910 is deactivated by anything but the remote the primary turns off but this one continues. Correct?
If so how does one turn it off if the viper 5910 is damaged and the remote doesn't work? My reason for asking is because I have it mounted in a location that would require the removal of the lower rocker moldings and fender... quite a lot of work to get to.
Thanks again
My plan was to chassis ground and tap red to a random constant 12v
& so much more!
67stang 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
opps hit submit before I finished..
Thinking about it I'm now thinking it would need to pull power from the 5910 unit as well as receive the (+)siren signal.
Is the 'test' key also used to manually disable the 515?
I do not understand why the unit comes with no instructions at all even with basic information. Never got any and the vendor confirmed none come with it.
& so much more!
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, the key will turn the 515 off.

That unit either has the wiring diagram printed on the box, or on a slip of paper inside the box.  I've used them before.

JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
The siren goes off it it loses ground OR loses power OR receives a (+) or (-) siren input signal. The key is designed to turn the siren off if you come back to a car with a siren sounding that has been broken into and the battery has been disconnected or the alarm disabled by a thief. A thief will often disconnect a battery to shut off the alarm. If that happens and you have a 515r the siren will keep going off, and hopefully the thief will leave. Make sure the siren can't be removed from the car too easily of else the thief will just rip it out and throw it as far as he can or smash it to pieces.
If the remote is damaged or lost you disarm the alarm using the ignition key and valet button.
docshay 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question regarding this 515 Siren,
Hornet 564T
1998 Honda Civic SI (EX in the US)
I've connected the following wires from siren to brain (12 pin connector)
Red from siren to solid red on brain (12v constant)
Black from siren to black on brain (ground)
Purple from siren to brown on brain (external siren postive + )
Green wire unused/taped off end
So it appears to be connected - now on the siren itself its the key fob is turned counter clockwise right now so its positioned OFF (I'm asuming?)
After connecting it all, I turned the key fob clockwise - asuming since all the wires were connected now the siren would not go off, unless my car alarm did or it lost constant 12v power or ground. Well, unfortunatly the siren DID go off.
So I figured maybe I had it backwards and had to be turned counter clockwise, and siren would go off if alarm went off or lost power/ground. To test this, I opened my car door - armed my car, closed my door. Which then set off my alarm - but not the backup siren...so I pulled the ground on my battery - backup battery still did not go off.
What am I doing wrong? All the wires are connected correctly...but still for some reason cannot get this to work properly.
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
docshay wrote:
I have a question regarding this 515 Siren,
Hornet 564T
1998 Honda Civic SI (EX in the US)
I've connected the following wires from siren to brain (12 pin connector)
Red from siren to solid red on brain (12v constant)
Black from siren to black on brain (ground)
Purple from siren to brown on brain (external siren postive + )
Green wire unused/taped off end
So it appears to be connected - now on the siren itself its the key fob is turned counter clockwise right now so its positioned OFF (I'm asuming?)
After connecting it all, I turned the key fob clockwise - asuming since all the wires were connected now the siren would not go off, unless my car alarm did or it lost constant 12v power or ground. Well, unfortunatly the siren DID go off.
So I figured maybe I had it backwards and had to be turned counter clockwise, and siren would go off if alarm went off or lost power/ground. To test this, I opened my car door - armed my car, closed my door. Which then set off my alarm - but not the backup siren...so I pulled the ground on my battery - backup battery still did not go off.
What am I doing wrong? All the wires are connected correctly...but still for some reason cannot get this to work properly.
You have the siren turned OFF. There are three positions, always ON, always OFF, normal. Counterclockwise is OFF. I don't remember what the other two are. Put it in the middle position. Try arming the alarm. It should chirp the 515r. If it don't, try the other key position (full clockwise).
docshay 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2009 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
OH! Theres 3 options? I think I may have got this figured out then, just need til wait until its light out (Some how me chirping my sirens on the street at 11:30pm might not go over well with the neighborhood)
I thought there was...
OFF
On/Triggered
So I guess there's really...
Off
Always On
Triggered On
Fantastic! So I'll try to turn it past "on" tomorrow, since its on off - I never bothered to try and go past "on", since I always thought there was only 2 options.
Thanks again guys, i'm really starting to love this forum.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic