how can i get fuller bass range

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Does your radio have an adjustable crossover for the Sub Output?
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

edelbrockboy, you've got i am an idiot and DYohn looking out for your interests here.  Listen to them, answer their questions and you will get your sound system up and running the way it should be.

Don't underestimate the importance of the blending of sound between the sub and the midwoofers.  That's where the power and significance of the 60 Hz to 120 Hz range comes from, and that's an entire octave.  If a change to your mids is in order at the end of it all, then what it is, it is.  But for the time being, stay tuned and keep up with your thread responses.

how can i get fuller bass range - Page 2 -- posted image. Please.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
edelbrockboy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

sorry i didnt respond earlier. my net copped out on me for a bit before work. my box is approx 1.25x1.15x1.3... i think thats almost 2 cubic feet (which shoudl be very small for a 15inch box). im PRETTY sure its my box thats the issue. i wouldve assumed that with a smaller box id get better high response. my bass IS tight and clean which is a plus, but...

as far as my filters, i got factory speakers and yes the hpf on the mids is running straight thru, but its not the 80 to 120 gap im worried of, its the 50 to 80. my punch bass, assuming u are referring the the kick drum chest pound feeling, is practically none (in comparison to the lower notes). the bass runs extra low (36 hz sounds the most beautiful) but if i tune it to highs, they come out muddy and sloppy. its this last statement that leads me to belive my box is a problem. its as if the amp is sending the wattage and the high bass signal to the woofers, and they are playing it, but it jus doesnt sound good. i can turn 60 hz up and theres definitely an excursion but the sound doesnt match the speaker.

again thanks for even reading this, much less responding in such a helpful manner.

i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
What is the make and model of your radio?
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
edelbrockboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
kenwood somethin or another mp3 player with usb drive on the front. fairly decent radio. has front rear and sub output rca
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
the model number should be somewhere on the front of the radio, as it is with most radios.
and didn't you say you have two 15's? are the box dimensions you gave us for a box for BOTH of those subs, or does each sub have its own box with those dimensions? if that 1.8 cubic feet is for both subs then that might be your problem right there. if that is what you have for each sub then there shouldn't be any problems even though you could go bigger if you wanted to.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
I searched the entire Kenwood site for a model something or another.  i had no luck, I was planning to check the owners manual to see if there was an adjustable LPF for the sub output. 
edelbrockboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

the dimensions i gave were for each chamber. as for the radio, it does have a subwoofer output with a lpf on it but i have the filter running all sound thru. kdc-mp435u  may be the model number, if not then it would be a predecessor of this unit.i can get u the exact number later, but if u are only wondering of the lpf, i do have it turned off.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
OK, so I'll ask again: you have the low pass filter on the head unit set to "through"?  Where is the low pass filter on your subwoofer amplifier set?  Where are the high-pass filters on the front and rear outputs set on the head unit?  Where is the high-pass filter on the mains amplifier set?
Support the12volt.com
edelbrockboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

1. yes my radio has a sub output level with a LPF feature, which is set to through, which means, basically, off.

2. sub amps have their LPF set to a high setting, i wanna say 120 offhand. the crossover between the head unit and amp is set to about 50 hz. i have tried this setup with and without use of the extra active crossover, and with the active crossover set to its highest (200hz) setting.

3. im not running an amp to the rest of the car speakers, they work via the radio's amplifier. the rear deck's filter is running thru (no HPF set), and the fronts have 180hz HPF on.

im not having an issue with the regular speakers. they sound fine, and actually my entire system sounds pretty good to the average listener. im simply wondering why i dont really get the sound pressure levels at the 50 to 80 hz range.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic