icon

97 integra 12’ subwoofer install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thug833 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hi I bought 2 12" sony xplod subs witha  1200 watt legacy amp and I need to know or get any good or creative ideas on ahow to install them ina trun with a reasoanble enclosure with decent sound quality. Im good with wood so id like to make my own but I would also like to keep a decent amount of space in my trunk for my books and stuff. Any suggestions on makign enclosures that arent necessarily sqaur but half cubes that will fit in corner? will these give decent bass quality. ANy ideas would be awesome Im a newbie at this sort of thing my fore' is lighting. Thanks a lot guys

Colin

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

The best way to go is to use a sealed enclosure. Sealed will give you the best sound quality in my opinion and will use the least amount of space. On the Xplod's they all use a volume of 1.0 CU/FT per sub so your enclosure would need to be 2.00CU/FT total and I would use a divider so each sub has a separate chamber.

Spec83 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

As long as u build the boxes to the reccomended size as stated in the subs specs u should be sweet...!!!

As u have a limited space to work in and for reasons of ease of construction and tuning u should build 2 small sealed boxes that fit into the available space u have...try not to make all the sides parallel  and same size thou (cube). If u have a range of size that the box can be built to (eg in teh spec for sub it says 0.9cu/ft to 1.5cu/ft) remember that generaly the smaller the enclosure the higher the powerhandling capacity of the sub, but u will loose some low end extension and visa-versa for a larger box. Easyiest thing is to aim for something in the middle.

Signal: ///Alpine
Front: JL Audio
Amps: ///Alpine & PG
Sub: PG
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Something that will give you the best space is an isobraic style of box. You wouldn't get as good as acoustic suspension would but it definetely saves in the space dept. Look on the internet for some ideas on Isobraic style of boxes. They're kinda neat in the way that they look and some ppl like that in a sub. Cheers.
Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
thug833 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys Theres a space between my back trunk walla and my rear wheel well covers and thats where Im going to put thme. SO what your saying is it doesn't matter what shape there in , cube etc, as long and the interior volume stays the saem? the boxes will probably mbe about 1.5 cubic feet ina a curvy rectangle sahpe to fit the curves of the wheel well. ANy furhter thoughts would eb great its awesoem you guys knwo what your talking about
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

A perfect cube would be the worst thing that you could make for a box. The problem with cubes is that their walls are parallel to eachother and create "standing waves" <<<97 integra 12’ subwoofer install -- posted image.

When there is a bass note, it is a sine wave....(I don't know if you know what that looks like) but these sine waves will deconstructivly work against eachother and will cancel out bass. You have to make your walls as non parallel as possible. (polygons work good). Hope that doesn't interfere with your plans too much!!!

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
thug833 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
NO thats perfect just what i needed to here. My space is curved at one side straight at the other and a slanted half box for the amin part thats gonna be perfect thatnks for the great tip!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic