icon

designing a high end system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diverdown269 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2009 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
I am building a show SUV and need some help with a high end system. I want to run 8-12 12" subs along with 6-8 component speakers (6.5" maybe). I am looking for recomendations on amp and sub combinations. I'd like to (if possiable) run 2-3 main amps (4 subs of each amp) and the components off a 3rd/4th amp. I know this won't be cheap, but I'd like to stay under 500 each  for the sub amps and under 200 per sub. Can this be done ??? If so, exactly how....  If not. what part of it do I need to change...
Some fear the Abyss... Other, chase it into the DEPTHS !!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Of course it can be done, but the real question is have you planned out the installation?  First thing you need to do is design the system, not focusing on the exact gear you will use but focusing on how you will install it, what sort of fabrication you will need to do, how the SUV will need to be modified, and how you will power it both with and without the engine running.  In a "high-end" show build, the cost of the actual gear is often far less than the cost of the installation.
Support the12volt.com
drew454u 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
on a separate note a 200 dollar sub isnt exactly a high end sub, wouldnt you rather run 2 or 3 good woofers rather than 8-12 low model subs??
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Show cars are mainly that... for SHOW. The fabrication and customization is the real goal here. If you want it to be pretty AND show some high SPL...than its NOT ganna be 200 per woofer.
Kicker, Jl audio, MTX, are always a low-mid price (depending on budget) crowd favorites, if you wanna stay in your budget.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
With that much gear, you had better be getting high-end equipment for those prices. Im assuming a shop is doing the install. If you order everything at one time from a dealer and if they are doing the install, the bargaining power is yours for equipment. Wire, alternator, sound proofing, batteries...etc. 20,000.00$ adds up quick. Whats a extra $100/sub when your talking that kind of cash. I would push for equipment at cost. Break estimates down into labor, material and equipment.
This is what I do for FUN!
diverdown269 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

The high number of subs has to do with the layout / design I have in mind.  

I am planning on doing the install myself. I maybe old school, but i just don't believe in having someone else do the work on my ride.  My brother is a mechanic and is helping me reinforce (if thats the righ term) the electrical system. 

I thought figuring out the equipment first so I would know what space requirements the subs would need. I have noticed through checking on different types of subs that 1.25 cf seams to be a general rule of thumb. Is this about right ?

Thanks for all the advise guys

Some fear the Abyss... Other, chase it into the DEPTHS !!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
IMO for a show vehicle like this you are not trying to show off the gear per se (unless you are being sponsored by a particular manufacturer) you are trying to show off your installation and modification skills.  Figure out what kind of enclosure you want to build and how large it can really be, then pick a woofer that fits the available space.  If you really want 12 woofers for a "wow" factor, then design the enclosure with 12 woofers in it and figure out how much space you can afford to give each one.  If on the other hand you are actually trying to build something that sounds good, then you don't want 12 woofers in any case.  designing a high end system - Last Post -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
ryan09s 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic