the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amp ground wire shows power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
A DMM is much cheaper than trial and error. I agree with i am an idiot, most likely a grounding issue. Did you smell smoke when your amp stopped working? Was it hot? Which fuse keeps blowing?
heedless619 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
custombass wrote:
A DMM is much cheaper than trial and error. I agree with i am an idiot, most likely a grounding issue. Did you smell smoke when your amp stopped working? Was it hot? Which fuse keeps blowing?
Yes, I used it and it shows 9v on the ground. I don't think it was hot. The main fuse connected to the battery keeps blowing. Hmm maybe it is the ground. I wonder if I show try each amp with its' on grounding point? What length should it be? Actually my friend who is MCEP Certified installed it, but people make mistakes!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

The shorter the ground wire, the better.

custombass 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
You amps should all be grounded at the same point. Your fuse keeps blowing because of a short circuit somewhere IMO. Check all connections, starting from the battery, toward the rear of the vehicle. Check your wiring to ensure that there is no cuts or gashes in the insulation. I personally believe that this is a result of an installation error.
heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

custombass wrote:
You amps should all be grounded at the same point. Your fuse keeps blowing because of a short circuit somewhere IMO. Check all connections, starting from the battery, toward the rear of the vehicle. Check your wiring to ensure that there is no cuts or gashes in the insulation. I personally believe that this is a result of an installation error.

Thanks, I'll have him check it. What's weird is the 4 ch works perfectly! They share the same power line! So maybe the power to the mono block?

custombass 
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
Have your installer check his math to make sure you aren't overloading that fuse. Make sure ALL connections are tight, and ensure there is no short anywhere. Did he use connectors for ALL connections, or did he cheat and use only the stripped wire?amp ground wire shows power - Page 2 -- posted image.
heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  

custombass wrote:
Have your installer check his math to make sure you aren't overloading that fuse. Make sure ALL connections are tight, and ensure there is no short anywhere. Did he use connectors for ALL connections, or did he cheat and use only the stripped wire?amp ground wire shows power - Page 2 -- posted image.

When I was using 8gauge wires, it was compeletly fine. Then all of sudden this happens! He used connectors on the battery side then it go to a distribution block and to the amp. The amp's terminals don't have a spot where the connectors go, I don't think.

I wonder if the amp works on other car? I need to ask a friend to see if I could hook it up. My friend did my system at least 4-5 times with two different cars. This is the first time there's an issue! :(

custombass 
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Is the fuse on the amp itself good? How often does your in-line fuse blow? I still believe that there is a short circuit somewhere.
heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

custombass wrote:
Is the fuse on the amp itself good? How often does your in-line fuse blow? I still believe that there is a short circuit somewhere.

Yea it's still good. We blew at least 3-4 fuses. The funny thing is, it was working flawlessly intil the wires got changed. Old setup was 4 gauge split into 2 8 gauges because I ran out of wires! lol So I decide to finally change them and now this happens! How does a short circuit happen? I wonder if the wires somehow got cut? The old setup was "homemade" too. It was a fuse holder that split the power and ground. I can't wait til this weekend to mess around with it some more.

heedless619 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
heedless619 wrote:

custombass wrote:

Yea it's still good. We blew at least 3-4 fuses. The funny thing is, it was working flawlessly intil the wires got changed. Old setup was 4 gauge split into 2 8 gauges because I ran out of wires! lol So I decide to finally change them and now this happens! How does a short circuit happen? I wonder if the wires somehow got cut? The old setup was "homemade" too. It was a fuse holder that split the power and ground. I can't wait til this weekend to mess around with it some more.

I meant the inline fuse  blew 3-4 times during the installation of the new wires. Before it never blew!!

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic