icon

2 car batteries?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
And how are you achieving the same load...?(subs wiring)
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
The 15's are both DVC.2 ohm, the 12" is a DVC.4 ohm.

You say you are an electrician in your profile and you can't comprehend this?

Support the12volt.com
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Comprehend WHAT? I got 2 wires from my amp that have a minimum resistance rating of 4 ohm. I got two 4 ohm coils on the 12". Need I say more? Then I have two 2 ohm coils on each 15, wired IN SERIES, need I say more? SO, if more volume draws more current, 15's handle higher volume than the 12. They drain the battery quicker. THUS' SPEAKER SIZE IS RELEVANT to how long the battery can last. The amount of power dissipated from you average 12" sub, should not need upgrades to the ALT or the big 3. If his battery took a dump when using only 1 12" sub then the fault lies on him or the battery. THATS assuming everything else in the system is in order.
This is what I do for FUN!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

So tell me what impedance your two 12" DVC 4-ohms speakers are presenting to the amp.  Now tell me what impedance the two DVC 2-ohm speakers are presenting to the amp.  Lets' see: DVC 4-ohm loads wired in parallel at the speakers creates a 2-ohm load, and wired in series creates a 8-ohm load.  How are these wired and how are they wired to the amp?  Each DVC 2-ohms speaker wired in series presents a 4-ohm load.  How are these two wired to the amp?  Are the two sets presenting the same net loads on the amp?  No?  Yes?  You tell me.

If the load from both sets of speakers is the same, and if the volume level on the receiver is the same, the current draw from the amp will be the same.  So, in your case yes I agree "something else" is certainly happening, and by something else I mean it ain't the same load in both cases.

Support the12volt.com
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
SO, if more volume draws more current, 15's handle higher volume than the 12. They drain the battery quicker. THUS' SPEAKER SIZE IS RELEVANT to how long the battery can last.

No, speaker size is NOT relevent.  In your specific case, it is, but I have seen 10" subs with higher power ratings then 15" subs, so to solely base power consumption off speaker size is impossible.

You need to analyze each case individually and base your design off RMS power of the amplifier(s) and the type of amp(s).  The amount of power output and the efficiency of the amp will ultimately determine how long a battery will last.

Kevin Pierson
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
"The amount of power dissipated from you average 12" sub, should not need upgrades to the ALT or the big 3."
You need to be thinking in terms of wattage, not speaker size. The amp determines the upgrades not speaker size!. You might be running a bridged Zapco C2K-9.0 on a single 12". Upgrade, Yes. Alpine PXD-1000.1, maybe. Power Acoustic, why bother IMO.
Say you had an A/B switch and a current meter. All things be equal: Switch between a 15" and a 12" speaker and the amp current will not change. Will one be louder? if the efficiency is different, Yes.
"SO, if more volume draws more current, 15's handle higher volume than the 12."
More volume draws more current, Fact.
"15's handle higher volume than the 12"
I have no idea how you could arrive at such a statement. The 15"s might be more efficient therefore play louder than the 12". It's not handling higher anything. Plus you are comparing two drivers to one.
"THUS' SPEAKER SIZE IS RELEVANT to how long the battery can last."
This is just a flat out false statement. No matter how you try to reason it out it just isn't going to happen. As said multiple times wattage, voltage and efficiency of the amp determine what your electrical needs are. Speaker size has nothing to do with it and never will.
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
First off, everyone who commented I thank you very much. If there was a better source for info available, I would be bugging that and not you all.(too bad huh?) 2 car batteries? - Page 3 -- posted image.   Im not afraid to ask questions though. I believe things based on reason. Some people dont care how it works, as long as it works...I wish I was like that.   I often comment to see if my opinion or research can be validated or inconclusive. Better to ask and be uncool, than not know and be cool!   Iaqnarian Law-states: the (#/posts) divided by (#/members) it takes to sink a concept into the brain. Thanks again...gentlemen, humblest of apologies,....until next time!!!
DYohn 
Posted: August 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
ianarian, it's not about being uncool.  These forums are for people to seek advice and ask difficult questions.  It's about you giving out advice to others that sometimes is wrong, and then demonstrating in some of your posts and that you seem to lack a basic understanding of "how things work."  That's cool, come here to learn, but please don't offer advice to others unless you are sure you know what you're talking about.  Thanks!
Support the12volt.com
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
I hear ya Dyohn. But I know what Im talkin about, its all yall that dont get it. 2 car batteries? - Page 3 -- posted image. No, what I meant in the beginning was: I've seen less than 500w push that 12 just fine. However their L7-15's and solo 18's are not as forgiving. Now my 15's can be replaced with 8's and still be able to have same effect on my battery that I was talking about. When I was referring to speaker size, it was based off the fact that this guy's L7 can be ran fine on a good battery without changing alternators and a bunch of other things like that. Anything bigger than a 12 I would not recommend to take any shortcuts on power.
DYohn 
Posted: August 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
I hear ya Dyohn. But I know what Im talkin about, its all yall that dont get it. 2 car batteries? - Page 3 -- posted image. No, what I meant in the beginning was: I've seen less than 500w push that 12 just fine. However their L7-15's and solo 18's are not as forgiving. Now my 15's can be replaced with 8's and still be able to have same effect on my battery that I was talking about. When I was referring to speaker size, it was based off the fact that this guy's L7 can be ran fine on a good battery without changing alternators and a bunch of other things like that. Anything bigger than a 12 I would not recommend to take any shortcuts on power.

And that's not a fact, it's just wrong.  The size of the speaker has nothng to do with the load it will place on your electrical system.  It's the amplifier that does that, and the load placed on the amplifier by the voice coil impedance.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic