2009 altima/545t lighting issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike253 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  

Chris,

A million thanks to you for sharing your experience with the 07+ Altima, your help is greatly appreciated!

Chris Luongo wrote:
I know exactly what this is from doing remote starters in these cars.
There are two ways to connect the parking lights:
1. There's a RED / blue wire in the driver's fuse box, inside the car. There's also a similar wire in the underhood fuse box.
A simple positive trigger to this wire turns on the exterior parking lights as desired, BUT it also blacks out the radio and HVAC controls, just as you describe.
Follow this link and scroll down to Page 3, and read the connection that says "+ PARKING."
https://ifar.ca/en/download/1193/can-sl2_nissan_altima_-_automatic_transmission_%282007-2009%29.rev-j.pdf
2. At the BCM (Body Control Module) behind the instrument cluster, there are many plugs and wires.
There are two wires at the BCM, pink/black and light GREEN/ black (in two different plugs), which if shorted together, turns on the parking lights in the correct manner.
Follow the link below, download the install guide for your car, and scroll to page 18. You'll see on the diagram a wire coming out of the remote starter labeled (+PARKLIGHTS), going to a relay, which is then connected to the corresponding wires in the car.
https://idatalink.com/search/index/model/6150
---------------------------------
Your installer probably used method 1 above, just tapped into the car's positive parking light wire. That's what most installers would do and it usually works fine......just not on your car. They probably didn't know.
To correct this issue, they'll need to disconnect that positive parking light wire, and install the relay behind the BCM as shown.
IF THE LINKS DO NOT WORK:
Basically, just go to the sites www.ifar.ca   and www.idatalink.com.
Select what kind of car you have, and it'll show you the products that you need to install a remote starter in your car.
(I know you probably don't have a remote start, but use these guides so you and your installer can see where the wires are.)
You need to hook up the parking lights the ADS (idatalink.com) way, NOT the Fortin (ifar.ca) way.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
You're welcome, Mike! Glad to help!
You might want to print out the ADS install guide, or at least the page showing the parking light connection, as well as print out these posts here.
Installers can sometimes be arrogant and touchy about customers telling them how to do their job.......even though the installer is NOT always right!
Hopefully you can present these papers to the installer in a way that won't hurt his pride, but will still help him to wire up your lights correctly.
P.S. All information above is for parking lights only. I assume that 545T activates the headlights too, correct?
I've never had any reason to connect to the headlights on an Altima.
It might not be a bad idea for the installer to first COMPLETELY disconnect the 545T from your car's parking lights........let it activate ONLY the headlights the way he already has it hooked up.......and verify that the radio and HVAC to not black out, before going on to hook up the parking lights the other way.
mike253 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

And now I have to ask that this topic be revisited..

Chris,

According to the installer, your info was spot on.  Unfortunately, the problem still exists.  Iv'e had the 545t removed to ensure it isn't the issue and that did not fix it.  Took it to Nissan for a diagnosis and the answer they provided was essentially "we're to busy to chase this problem down, looks like the BCM is fried though.. for ~$1,200, we can try that.. if that doesn't fix it, you just bought a BCM for no reason".

It's quite odd.. my cluster lights dim as expected when I turn the headlight switch on.  Also, the LEDs in the middle of the climate control buttons dim.  Radio illumination turns off entirely and the climate control illumination doesn't turn on.

Any clues what to check before I take it back to the shop for the 8th or 9th time? (been to 2 shops and the Nissan dealer since the first shop attempted a 5701 install).

Also important to mention:  When the 545t was removed, the parking light interface for the 5701 was un-wired as well just to make sure.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic