icon

bypassing factory immobilizer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marklar65 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  

The vehicle is a 2000 nissan sentra (base model), and heres whats up.... A good friend of mine (who's having a rough time financially) lost his key with the chip and now he is looking at $180.00 to replace it from the stealership. So i was wondering if there is a way to bypass the factory immoblizer, since he still has another key (it fits the ignition and has a chip, but isn't programmed). If anyone knows if this is an option, Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance!  

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
Programme the second key, then remove antenna ring from ign switch, cut a non-chipped key for about $10, secure chiped key in antenna ring, see if car starts.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
I couldn't imagine a 2000 base model Sentra having an immobilizer.
Regular US Sentras had no immobilizer until the 2007 redesign.
I'm pretty sure the only older Sentras that had an immobilizer was the SE-R sportier version. (Never worked on one myself.)
The 2006-older Sentras DO have a thick key that appears to have an immobilizer inside, but it really doesn't.
Is this a US car?
With the car parked, off, no keys in the ignition.......is there a flashing light anywhere on the dashboard?
marklar65 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
I couldn't imagine a 2000 base model Sentra having an immobilizer.
Regular US Sentras had no immobilizer until the 2007 redesign.
I'm pretty sure the only older Sentras that had an immobilizer was the SE-R sportier version. (Never worked on one myself.)
The 2006-older Sentras DO have a thick key that appears to have an immobilizer inside, but it really doesn't.
Is this a US car?
With the car parked, off, no keys in the ignition.......is there a flashing light anywhere on the dashboard?
Yeah, thats what is so friggin weird. It has U.S. gauges and everything appears to be factory issue. I was amazed it had a factory immobilizer, and yes it does have an L.E.D. located by the ash tray that also appears to be factory (l.e.d. is higher quality than your typical alarm provides).
So any thoughts?
marklar65 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Programme the second key, then remove antenna ring from ign switch, cut a non-chipped key for about $10, secure chiped key in antenna ring, see if car starts.
I found a mobile locksmith that will program the other key for $140.00 but that is still out of my buddys financial reach. He's gonna try to borrow the funds from his parents, but i'd still like to try to save him some money by just getting past the factory stuff. Obviously the antenna ring has a n/o or n/c circuit so can it just be jumped? Or does it look for a n/o or n/c circuit while key is out then the opposite once the key is inserted? I've been doing systems for 23 years, just never got into alarms that much so i am kind of stumped here. Guess the worst that could happen is to try jumping the circuit and see if it starts, and if it doesn't he is just gonna have to bite the bullet and spend the money. However if someone knows if it won't work no matter what, it would save me some sweat and time i don't really have. So, if any of you guys knows the answer please share it........... bypassing factory immobilizer - Last Post -- posted image.
marklar65 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
I went on a sentra forum and the immobilizer was a option on the 2000-2001 sentras, so if that helps.........
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
marklar65 wrote:
howie ll wrote:
I found a mobile locksmith that will program the other key for $140.00 but that is still out of my buddys financial reach. He's gonna try to borrow the funds from his parents, but i'd still like to try to save him some money by just getting past the factory stuff. Obviously the antenna ring has a n/o or n/c circuit so can it just be jumped? Or does it look for a n/o or n/c circuit while key is out then the opposite once the key is inserted? I've been doing systems for 23 years, just never got into alarms that much so i am kind of stumped here. Guess the worst that could happen is to try jumping the circuit and see if it starts, and if it doesn't he is just gonna have to bite the bullet and spend the money. However if someone knows if it won't work no matter what, it would save me some sweat and time i don't really have. So, if any of you guys knows the answer please share it........... bypassing factory immobilizer - Last Post -- posted image.
DO NOT try jumping immobilizer wires. Your friend will have a much bigger bill than $140.
Its not a N.O. or N.C. circuit. Its an RF signal that sends a signal to the BCM allowing the car to run. I believe on Nissans it disable the fuel system.
There is no easy way around this. Get a key programmed.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
I'm with Jeremy on this forget disconnecting the transponder leads, = expensive problems, the interconnects are all data. Have you removed the steering column shroud to see if there's an OEM circular antenna covered in plastic with 2 (or more) thin wires coming off it around the ignition switch? That would be the first stage of seeing if it's a factory transponder. If so, my first post would be the way to go. Because of the lack of Fortin idata-link etc. products in the UK, I'm doing this all the time. The variation on my earlier post is to remove the chip, find a position on the plastic antenna ring where you can place the chip, wait 5 mins then try and start the car with any of your keys. If this works, epoxy it into place, job done problem solved.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
My wife has had a 2000 altima and now an 05 Altima. Both have transponder keys. On the 2000, the only way to bypass it is by using a working programmed key. You're in a catch 22, you want to bypass it because you don't have a programmed key, but you need a programmed key to bypass it. I know it suck, but he will have no ther choice than to get the funds together. and $140 seems kinda steep to me. Last time we had my wife car reprogrammed, it cost 75$ to program it plus $60 for each key. No matter how many keys you are getting programmed, they only charge one programming charge. (Or at least every Nissan dealer I've been to) Call every Nissan dealer in your area and ask about it. See what they will charge for a new key, and what they will charge just to program his existing non working key. To me it makes much more sense to have at least 2 working keys for your car.
marklar65 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2009 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
Well thanks everyone for all of your input! We found another stealership to program the key that is a little cheaper, but still a friggin joke as far as i'm concerned. I'm gonna take your advice and not mess with it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic