icon

no power to the stereo in dodge intrepid

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thebiggreenalan 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1997 Dodge Intrepid non infinity stereo that has been radio defective. The car sat dead in my backyard for around 6 months and when I came back to use the car the stereo didnt work. The only power I could get was the clock display which only showed when the key was in the "on" position. I thought the head unit could be dead and I swapped it out only to find the same problem. I have now switched to an aftermarket unit and the same problem is continuing except for the fact that the clock doesn't work anymore, I was thinking this was because the dimmers did not have anything to connect to on my head unit. I have seen that this could be a dead amplifier but I don't even know if this car has one or where it is located. Any advice on where to start would be welcome, I want this stereo to work again.
a*^%
jinstaller1 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

Okay check it out there is a fuse in your fuse box it will have a cap over it, pull that fuse. Almost garanteed it is blown. Crysler in there infinate knowledge used this to keep power from going through the vehicle (except necassary for driving) during shipping. If my memory serves me correctly it is labeled as I.O.D

Jayce
thebiggreenalan 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
I have checked it and it was still good, even put it in another slot and it powered the internal lights.
a*^%
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2009 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

Time to go to the hardware/electronics shop and buy a multi-meter...We have harbor freight here...$2.99...Once you buy/borrow a meter...It should be a pretty easy diagnose...here are the wires at the ignition harness(below)...you can run new leads from the ignition harness,to the stereo...Just remember to fuse them...

Accessory 1BLACK/ ORANGE(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS (HEAT/A.C.)...Connect to red wire @ stereo...!

BatteryPINK/BLACK(+)

IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS...Connect to yellow wire @ stereo...!        

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
jinstaller1 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
The red and yellow wires above are on the aftermarket radio, just to throw this out...
Jayce
thebiggreenalan 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I just ran new leads to the stereo from the ignition harness, but it still isn't working. I know there is power still so the connections are made because the windows and other accessories are working again. What should I do next?
a*^%

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic