the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

wiring 2 subs differently in the same box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2009 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Does your box have a divider? The way you described your set up the only sub that would actually be powered would be your left. If your box isn't divided, it could appear as though both subs are working when actually only one, THE LEFT SUB in your box has a complete circuit. There is no logical way the right sub is functioning when you have no positive lead going to the sub. I can only assume that this is your problem. My guess is that your box is sealed as well. Follow the diagram I am an idiot provided for you. Please post your findings.
thorblizz 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2009 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah it does have a divider but I drilled some holes through it to give me some more airspace. Thats what I thought to but it's at least just as loud with just one sub being powered. Would the other sub be providing any bass with no power but the air still going through it? I still have to try the wiring in the diagram that was givin to me. I tried it and it worked for a second then stopped so I hooked it up the way I had it before and it still didn't work. I was tired of messing with it so I left it alone for the night and I went back out there this morning and everything was working fine I just haven't had time to wire it the way it should be. And just to make sure I'm reading this diagram right. I wire the voice coils in a series and then wire the two subs together which will give me one negative wire and one positive wire. Do I use just one of my terminals or one one wire on each terminal?? Thanks alot
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

thorblizz wrote:
Yeah it does have a divider but I drilled some holes through it to give me some more airspace. Thats what I thought to but it's at least just as loud with just one sub being powered. Would the other sub be providing any bass with no power but the air still going through it? I still have to try the wiring in the diagram that was givin to me. I tried it and it worked for a second then stopped so I hooked it up the way I had it before and it still didn't work. I was tired of messing with it so I left it alone for the night and I went back out there this morning and everything was working fine I just haven't had time to wire it the way it should be. And just to make sure I'm reading this diagram right. I wire the voice coils in a series and then wire the two subs together which will give me one negative wire and one positive wire. Do I use just one of my terminals or one one wire on each terminal?? Thanks alot

Wow, there are SO many things wrong with what you've done so far...you should go in and re-seal those holes you drilled into your enclosure.  And yes, connect the woofer voice coils in series and then the two woofers together in parallel using one set of binding posts... or use both sets if you want to, connecting one woofer to each then jumper them together outside the enclosure, that's fine too.  Then connect to your amplifier and set the gain properly (see the Hot Topics section for assistance.)  You have a very fine amplifier it'd be a shame for you to blow it by not knowing what you're doing, so if you can't get this done correctly PLEASE go visit a local shop and get some help. 

Support the12volt.com
thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Ok understood. I admit I don't know a lot about what I'm doing and and I know now to not trust friends who think they know what they're talking about. I'm glad I found this forum so I can get professional advice and I appreciate you guys helping me out. Anything I do from now on will go through you guys. Thanks a lot fellas.
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
You just need to get to a shop. I would be worried about the power wiring, fuses, etc.. If you couldn't wire your subs..wiring 2 subs differently in the same box - Page 3 -- posted image.
thorblizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

Everything works fine when I wire the voice coils in parallel and the subs in a series, but when I try to series the voice coils and parallel the subs I can't get it to work. I 99% sure I'm doing everything right. I follow the diagram 100% and did all the things that were asked of me and I still get nothing.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

It sounds, to me, like your box is not sized properly.  Assuming that it gets louder when you play only one sub vs playing two subs in series I would size the air space in the box and make sure it matches up.  I woudl also make sure when you wired the two subs together that you didn't get one out of phase.

Also, I, too, would like to see a picture of how you have things hooked up - I couldn't follow your post on it.

Kevin Pierson
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

You may have one open voice coil on each woofer.  This would explain why it will work with the coils in parallel and not work in series.

Connect one voice coil of speaker 1 and see if it plays.  Then connect the second voice coil of that same woofer.   Connect only that voice coil.  See if it plays.  Repeat for the second woofer.  If only one coil plays on each woofer, you have opened one coil on each speaker.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
thorblizz wrote:

Everything works fine when I wire the voice coils in parallel and the subs in a series, but when I try to series the voice coils and parallel the subs I can't get it to work. I 99% sure I'm doing everything right. I follow the diagram 100% and did all the things that were asked of me and I still get nothing.

Then either you are not doing it right even if you think you are, or you have the gain cranked so high on your amp that as soon as you place a 4-ohm load on it it shuts down in protection.  You really should go talk to a pro who can see your setup... or post some pictures.

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, as unlikely as it seems one open VC on each woofer would make sense given the symptoms as they are being described.  Or bad tinsel leads.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic