icon

remote start, 2001 volvo 60

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arcanemirage 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2009 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all this info. I would like to buy a remote start for my 2001 Volvo 60. Car Toys showed me an Avital system and said with light flashes, tying it to my factory remote and installation was just short of $400! I know I can install it myself. Any suggestions of what remote start system I should get and how to install it? Thanks! remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

Avital is good...Do you own a multi-meter...? Have you ever done anything in the 12 volt field...? This is the Remote Start wiring...

BatteryRED(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Ignition 1BLUE/RED(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Ignition 2GREEN/ YELLOW(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Accessory 1YELLOW/VIOLET(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Starter 1YELLOW/WHITE(+)IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Anti-Theft TypeUNIVERSAL IMMOBILIZER
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Anti-Theft DescriptTHE KEY SENDS AN RF SIGNAL TO THE BCM MODULE THROUGH AN ANTENNA LOCATED AROUND THE IGNITION CYLINDER
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.TachometerBLUE(AC)AT IGNITION COIL
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Speed SenseYELLOW/BLACK(AC)IN HARNESS FROM GAUGES
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Parking LightsWHITE(+)AT VEHICLE LIGHT SWITCH
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Brake LightsYELLOW(+)AT SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Reverse LightsBLUE(+)AT REM MODULE BEHIND LEFT SIDE TRIM IN CARGO AREA

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

Heres door locks...

Power UnlockBLUE/WHITE(-)AT MODULE IN DRIVERS DOOR...Double pulse to unlock all doors...!remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.PowerLockVIOLET/WHITE(-)AT MODULE IN DRIVERS DOOR
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Driver Mtr UnlockYELLOW(+)AT MODULE BEHIND DRIVERS SIDE OF DASH
remote start, 2001 volvo 60 -- posted image.Driver Mtr LockBLUE/BROWN(+)AT MODULE BEHIND DRIVERS SIDE OF DASH

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
$400 is pretty cheap for a Volvo.
A European car generally takes nearly as long as doing two American or Asian cars, plus, usually most shops either have very little experience with them at all, or don't even want to touch them......50% more than a regular car isn't at all uncommon.
I'm not so sure you want a remote start that works off your factory remote. Range is very limited, and also, your factory remote doesn't work when the car is running......you'd have to unlock the door manually with the key after remote starting.
You do have a spare key to use for the remote start, right? No matter what brand of remote start, or what installation technique you use, you'll be giving up one of your spare keys. No one makes a no-key-required bypass module for these cars.
Most Volvos from those years (except the S40) seem to almost the same electrically, and even use the same dashboard. Do some searches around here for the XC90, because for some reason those seem to be more popular for doing remote start....you should find some older posts with some extra information.
arcanemirage 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
Wow..that seems like a lot of work for my car.  Chris suggested that I don't tie the remote start to my factory remote because it has a shorter distance.  What do you think Tommy? I appreciate both of your responses! The guy at Car Toys was only trying to tie it because the remotes that came with the system he sells have 5 different buttons and I only need one.  This is why I chose the single button remote.  Since it is sent through their website, I wonder if he could use that system instead?
arcanemirage 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to respond that yes I do own a multi-meter and I do wonder if it is something I can do myself?
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

Chris Luongo wrote:
$400 is pretty cheap for a Volvo.
A European car generally takes nearly as long as doing two American or Asian cars, plus, usually most shops either have very little experience with them at all, or don't even want to touch them......50% more than a regular car isn't at all uncommon.
I'm not so sure you want a remote start that works off your factory remote. Range is very limited, and also, your factory remote doesn't work when the car is running......you'd have to unlock the door manually with the key after remote starting.
You do have a spare key to use for the remote start, right? No matter what brand of remote start, or what installation technique you use, you'll be giving up one of your spare keys. No one makes a no-key-required bypass module for these cars.
Most Volvos from those years (except the S40) seem to almost the same electrically, and even use the same dashboard. Do some searches around here for the XC90, because for some reason those seem to be more popular for doing remote start....you should find some older posts with some extra information.

Spot on...! I cant really add anything...Everything he said is right on the money...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
To test the keyless working w/ the car on...Start the car...Hit lock/unlock on remote...Did it work...?? How do you like the range you currently have...? If your range is not good currently...It would suck to  have to walk outside to remote start the car...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
arcanemirage 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your help guys!  I decided to buy an Avital 4113L so hopefully it will work.  Using your wiring guide I should be ok.  :-)  I will use the single button remote for the remote start since you make a good point about the range. Thanks again!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
What bypass are you using...? Does your keyless work with car running...If not...When using the one button remote start...You will not be able to use the factory keyless entry remote to unlock doors...You will have to use the key to open locked door...?! Also...you did pick up on giving up a key...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic