icon

Fried door lock solenoid?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Redrabit69 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Is it possible to fry the solenoid in the drivers door by shorting a combination of the wires together? I have a 96 Subaru Legacy, and i found the unlock wire easy enough by shorting each wire from the solenoid to ground until it worked, but i can`t get any of them to lock it. I`ve spent all day trying to figure it out, and in the end tried shorting different wires to each other, now the solenoid won`t function, although I can still hear the relays clicking in the factory keyless entry control unit. So I have no idea if I`ve killed the solenoid, or just "frozen" it somehow (i can still manually unlock the door, but it doesn`t unlock the others), and also how do I find the lock wire? Can someone please help cos it`s driving me bloody crazy! :)
2vmodular 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
You'll have to add an aftermarket door lock actuator if you want to be able to lock & unlock the drivers door by remote control. The factory actuator is not "frozen" rather it's nonexistant. You cannot control a part that does not exist.
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
always use a meter to check your wires..........
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
CruisinS&S 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
First off it is an actuator that you are talking about not a soleniod. Second draasch left a great comment by saying use a meter. You cant just short wires to ground to see what they do, that could cause major damage to the security module. But lucky enough you didn't do that! Like 2vmodular said you have to add an actuator in the drivers door. There is actuators in all other doors but the drivers. If you were to lock and ulock the doors from the passanger side you should see that the drivers door doesnt lock or unlock. This is normal, you must add an actuator in the drivers door with relays that will power it from the lock and unlock buttons from your alarm unit.
Redrabit69 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Cheers for the help guys, I see what u mean now :) But the problem still remains that the central locking isn`t working at all now, is it possible I`ve killed something afterall?
CruisinS&S 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
probably you need to test the wires with a meter when you lock/unlock and see if you get power or ground
Cruisin Security And Sounds
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
so if you lock the doors by the key, all the doors dont lock????
if so you may have fried the board for the central lock....
if you know where the box is, then remove it and look at the back side of it..... the panel should be green and you would be able to see the circuitson the back....look for one that is broken or burnt. scratch off the film around the bad spot and soldier the two ends back together. watch the heat of your soldiering pen. a gun may be too hot...
you will know that bad spot when you see it....
you should be able to find the box... just listen for the clicking from the unlock button....might be under the seat or driver side dash...
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic