icon

jeep liberty security problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiogod 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone, I'm an "old newbie". I registered here probably 8 years ago, but I'm not sure if i ever posted, and this is the first time I've been back here in several years. I do however point people to this site when they have questions that I can't answer.
Anyway, I find myself here now because I'm installing a remote start / alarm system in my wifes '02 Jeep Liberty for her birthday. I'm a fairly competent DIYer. I've got everything wired and working!...WOOHOO or so you would think. The problem is that the previous owner had a starter interrupt installed somewhere, and I can't figure out how or where the interrupt is wired. The requirement to bypass the starter interrupt is to either unlock the doors with the remote keyless entry, or simply flash the left turn signal once before attempting to start the car.
I just need to find out what wire to tap to activate the turn signal, and is it (+) or (-), and whether I need a resistor inline or not. I don't see any wiring in the area of the fuse box / BCM, steering column, or behind the stereo that appears to be after market or non-factory.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not spend $20 on an alldata subscription just for one wire diagram.
Thanks in advance!
Adam
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

Can't help you with the actual turn signal wire.  If the turn signal and the parking lights use the same element, maybe this will help.

jeep liberty security problem -- posted image.Parking LightsGREEN/ ORANGE(-)AT VEHICLE FUSE PANEL
jeep liberty security problem -- posted image.Low Crr. Pk LightsLIGHT GREEN/ ORANGE(-)AT STEERING COLUMN HARNESS

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
Just trace the starter lead. I assume when you start normally, the ignition lights come on but it doesn't crank. Also wasn't there a starter relay with these under the hood?  In which case that's probably where the imobiliser sits.
audiogod 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 5:13 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Can't help you with the actual turn signal wire.  If the turn signal and the parking lights use the same element, maybe this will help.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping for, but unfortunately it didn't work. I thought that once I hooked up the park light wires the immobilizer would be disabled with the initial light flash, but that's not the case. After further inspection I found that the flashers and the park lights are separate.
audiogod 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Just trace the starter lead. I assume when you start normally, the ignition lights come on but it doesn't crank. Also wasn't there a starter relay with these under the hood?  In which case that's probably where the imobiliser sits.
Tracing the starter lead was going to be my last resort. After work today I am going to have my wife sit in the car and go through the process of disabling the immobilizer a few times while I listen under the hood for a relay. Hopefully I can find it that way.
I don't know about a starter relay under the hood, but I'll see what I can find out. It would make sense to have the relay there.
If anyone knows where the turn signal wire is and how to activate it, that would still be my simplest option.
Thanks again,
Adam
todds440 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
Go to pdf.com  They have a 03 liberty factory service manual you can download for free that has wiring diagrams in them.
audiogod 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Todds440, thanks for the tip, but if I go to www.pdf.com it takes me to some corporate looking website.
I found www.pdfoo.com that appears to list an 02 jeep liberty FSM, but I didn't see a download button anywhere, and if I follow the link it just takes me to a list of other documents.
Can you post a link to the site that you're referring to?
Thanks,
Adam
audiogod 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
ok guys... I think I found what I need. I'll post the link in case it may help someone else.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3287159/Jeep-KJ-2002-Liberty-Service-Manual-PDF-Secc-08-Electrical-Systems
I think I'll be able to solve my problem with the information shown in that document.
Thanks for your help,
Adam
audiogod 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again for your help. I found a "module" of some sort mounted directly beside the under hood fuse block. There is a bypass switch right on the module, but instead of bypassing it, I just rewired it so that the park lights were the trigger instead of the turn signal.
Problem solved!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic