1999 Ford Ranger Headlight Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chrisnack 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

1999 Ford Ranger

I'd like to get the headlights wired up to the ignition so that they are always on whenever the car is running.  I can't find solid information on the wiring on the main light switch.  The headlights have a blue/orange wire that is hot, and then the main trigger (i think) for the lights is a larger guage RED / yellow that shows ground until the switch is turned then shows 12v.  If i send a 12v+ signal to the RED / yellow wire i can trigger the headlights.  The parking lights are on a seperate wire and have a WHITE/ black trigger wire that if you send 12v+ to that will trigger the parking lights, this is what my remote start/keyless is hooked up to.  The problem is is that if you link the BLACK/ white and RED / yellow, it'll feedback to the keyless and pop the fuse.  I thought about diode isolating that wire.

I'd like the parking lights to function independantly of hte headlights, so the keyless/remote start can trigger those and those can run when the car is remoted started, but i'd like the parking lights and headlights to come on when the key is inserted and the ignition is on.  Best source for a trigger is the accesorry 12v+ because htat's not hooked to the remote start (my radio doesn't run when i remote start). 

I assume i need to diode isolate the trigger from the keyless and put a diode on the circuit between the parking lights and headlights... that should stop the backflow to the keyless unit, and that should also not allow the headlights to come on when the keyless flashes the parking lights.

Thoughts?  Maybe i'm missing some of the wiring in the switch.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
if you simply connect the RED / yellow wire at the headlight switch (after disconnecting it from the switch first of course) to the gray / YELLOW ignition wire ine the ignition harness wont that do everything you are wanting?
chrisnack 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

ckeeler wrote:
if you simply connect the RED / yellow wire at the headlight switch (after disconnecting it from the switch first of course) to the gray / YELLOW ignition wire ine the ignition harness wont that do everything you are wanting?

That'll enable the headlights, but the parking lights won't be on then, only headlights.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

ok, well i must have misunderstood your post, sorry. it will work if you tie the parklight wire from the switch in with the headlamp wire to acc as well (after disconnecting it from the OE switch), then change your alarm parklight output to a negative output and connect it to the negative trigger parklight wire in the driver kick panel, its WHITE/ purple.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic