the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running a DVC sub with a 2 / 4 ohm relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
I was looking to impliment a relay switch like that in the relay section ( Switching from Series to Parallel and Back) but going from 2 ohm to 4 ohm. Is this possible for a DVC sub? I was looking at a Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D. It has two voice coils and I was thinking you can run it with only one voice coil, then through a relay parallel the other voice coil with it if you press a switch, making it a 2 ohm load, which should double the power output. Can this be done, or is there a reson it shoulden't be?
Allan.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
You cannot only use only 1 voice coil on a DVC you will get sound but it will damage the speaker.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
bberman, please explain why. It makes no sense to me that that would be the case. There would be no multiple magnetic fields to screw anything up. It just seems to me that you'd only be able to run half the power.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
Try it and see what happens.... You will start to smell something burning and it will be your sub. I'm not for sure how they work and why they won't work with only one coil but they burn if you only use one.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I'm not going to try it, but that doesn't make me believe anything because it doesn't say why at all.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, this dosn't make any sense. One would think if your powering a single coil your just not getting as loud. Its not as if one coil does have the speaker, it should go all around. Does anyone have a good reason this woun't work? It would be nice to be able to run 4ohm and switch to 2 (doubling the power) with a button instead of from 8 to 2, having a huge difference.
Allan.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic