icon

2001 Grand Am Stereo Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jizze 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone, I have a few questions about how to install a aftermarket stereo in a 2001 Grand Am.  It has the built in amp and everything.  I bought the wiring harness for it but it doesn't put any sound through the speakers.  I am assuming that I have to wire around the amp.  Anybody know how to do this??  Also, when I was screwing around with it trying to get it to work, the yellow wire, that always has power, got grounded and sparked.  Then the stereo wouldn't even power on.  So I figure there has to be a fuse blown.  All the fuses look OK.  I put the original stereo back in and that wouldn't turn on either.  Is there something I am missing?  I am doing this for my sister and she will kill me if I don't figure this out.  All wisdom that you can give me is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jizze

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

I haven't dealt with that car so I can't tell you what you need to do, but yes you blew a fuse. It's probably a 10A or 15A fuse which might make it easier to find.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Check under the hood for the fuse.
Jizze 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

I have checked under the hood and in fuse box in the car.  I have checked just about every single fuse, and they all look OK.  I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Jizze

Jizze 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah, something else I wanted to ask is I saw on the back of the stock stereo, next to where all the wires plug in there is another place for another harness to plug in it looks like.  Any idea what this could be?

Thanks Again,

Jizze 

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
is there a CD changer option on that car?
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

That extra spot is probably either for a cd changer, or for steering wheel controls for the stereo.

Another thing about this vehicle--it might have the new class 2 wiring system, in which you need to use a special t-harness  (such as the Best Kits BHA2004T) and relocate the factory radio in order to retain all of the door chime and oil indicator lights features.

If once you've unplugged the radio, the door chimes still work (like when you leave your headlights on or the key in the ignition and open the door) then you don't have this class 2 system.  If you DO lose the door chimes you know you'll need the special harness. 

This other spot for a harness to plug in to....what does the connector look like?  Does it look like a DIN (circular) plug? or is it more like the main harness plug?

As for the problems with the sound ouptut, you might need to use a bypass harness like this one.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
That car has a class II data cable. Their is no switched 12 volt in the radio harness so you will need to run one. To do that you will need to tap into a switched ignition source. Now the way I do it is tap into the pink wire in the ignition harness. All aftermarket wiring harness kits require you to connect a wire in the aftermarket harness to a switched 12 volt in order for it to work. So if you don’t have that connected it won’t work. I think that is your problem But if you want to bypass all that factory crap  tap into the 12volt switch like I said above for your switched 12 volt . For the constant you can get that from the radio harness it will be an orange wire and for the ground it will be the black wire now you should have power to the aftermarket head unit. Now as far as your speakers the only way to do it is to bypass the factory amp. You will want to run new wires from the back of the head unit to the speakers. Once you do that you will have sound. Now if you don’t relocate your factory head unit like esmith69 suggested you will lose the chime the one you hear when the door is open or the fuel is low etc. If you don’t mind loosing that then it’s not worth relocating the head unit. That’s the only thing you will need it for. There are a lot of rumors out there that say the air bags can go off or the car won’t work properly THEY ARE ONLY RUMORS! Hope this info helps if you have any more ?’s don’t hesitate to ask.
Jizze 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Sweet.  All that info is very good.  I have figured out that there is no ingnition connection but your info will help me to find where to splice it to bberman1.  esmith69 your info is great.  Yes the door chime doesn't work after I took the stereo out, and still doesn't sence the stereo doesn't work.  Do you have any suggestions, besides a fuse, why the stereo doesn't work anymore??

Thanks,

Jizze

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

Glad to help you but check the fuse boxes there are a total of 3 if I can remember 1 on driver side 1 on passenger and 1 under the hood. If you still have the manual you can look and see which fuses do what. But if I can remember correctly the fuse for the radio I on the passenger side fuse panel. But I have done the same thing with the same car with that yellow wire and it will blow the fuse and not work until you fix the fuse. So double check the fuse boxes and let us know what happens.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic