icon

viper 5901 dome light.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
berg9987 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

So I'm about ready to install a Viper 5901 and I am going through all the features I want to set up.  I like the option where the Viper turns on the dome light after the ignition is turned off. 

I would like to have the dome light stay on for a while when I get into the car (helpfull to get the key in the ignition when its cold and dark, find seatbelts, put on radio faceplate, etc).

I think I know how to do it, I just wanted to make sure I am on the right track or if there is a better way.  Here's my idea:

One of the Aux outputs is connected to a relay pin 85.  Pin 86 is connected to ground.  The door triggers are negative so I need to ground the door trigger wire to turn on the dome light.  As such I splice into this wire and connect it to pin 87 of the relay.  Pin 30 is connected to ground.  Pin 87a is not used.  In the Viper setup Menu 2 - Convenience I set the Aux that I am using to a Timed Output Type (I have a Bitwriter so I can set this time from 1-90 seconds).  Finally I Link the Aux that I am using to Disarm.

This seems to me to be the best way to do this, but if someone has a better one I would like to hear it!

Cheers,

Berg

05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of car is this, the reason why I ask is because the domelight may turn on when unlocked anyways
berg9987 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

It's and 87 Toyota MR2.  It predates the dome light "intellegence".  Am I on the right track for what I want to do?

Cheers,

Berg

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
I assume you already know that the unit has a domelight output? It will turn the domelight on when you disarm the vehicle. Should give you 20 or 30 seconds...or until the ignition is turned on.
berg9987 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

I did know that the unit has a dome light output.  However reading the instructions it only mentions that it will come on for sixty seconds when the ignition is turned off.  I didn't read anywhere about it turning the dome light on when unlocked. I know that most newer cars with keyless ignition will do this, so it makes sense that the Viper will.  If this is the case it will make things a little easier and neater. 

Thanks for the quick replies guys.  This will be my first alarm install and I appreciate all the help this site and the people on it have given me.

Cheers,

Berg

berg9987 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

Oops... I can't edit my posts.  Above where I wrote "keyless ignition", I meant to write "keyless entry".  My appologies.

Cheers,

Berg

subieken 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Just phone Viper and ask when that domelight output is all activated. They have a tech department for a reason.
berg9987 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I did call.  The gentleman I spoke with gave me the answer "Usually...." and "That would be my expectation..."  He didn't sound overly confident.

However mikvot says yes, so I am going to run with that.  If it doesn't I can add that relay in later.  Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Berg

subieken 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
I'll check with my distributor tech guys, they install these things so they should have a good idea.
dvaldez0989 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

by any chance did this vehicle ever come with a factory alarm? if so the factory disarm wire will turn the domelight on in some cases. it did with my ford... just thought that might aid in less wiringviper 5901 dome light. -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic