icon

relay to boost signal?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tegguy 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
How do you know when you need to use a relay to boost a signal? For example I want to use the Dome light output which is a - 200 mA output and my system uses a ground to turn it on. Can I just hook this wire to the circuit or do I need a relay to boost the ground?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
It's borderline, most alarms aux outputs are on their limit with that current requirement. I would use a relay, output (if neg) to 85, fused at 3amps, 12volt + constant to 86, good ground to 30 and 87 to your dome light.
If pos aux output (very rare), send to 86, good ground (which technically should be fused at 3amps) to 85 and 30, output from 87.
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  
When you say fused at 3 amps would you install that on pin 86 or where? Also how do you know when it's a good idea to run a relay and when you really don't need it?
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  
Also thank you for the reply any information you can give me would be great I am trying to expand my knowledge on this subect.
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
Also I would like to know about diodes too. When do you know if you need to use them or not and how do you determine the proper one to use?  Sorry for the multiple posts but I can't edit my posts yet
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 5:15 AM / IP Logged  
The fuse feeds the relay itself and protects it, only the feed to 86 is fused, or on the alternative, 85 to ground..YES fuse the ground side. As an extras precaution, diode from 85 to 86, 1N4004 or similar (Radio Shack, etc.) band side towards 86. When relays shut down, you get an onrush current which can feed back along the aux to damage whatever unit the aux runs from. As I said before it's a combination of knowing the current your unit supplies and the required draw of the end unit, in this case your dome light. Look at the relay section on this site, it's very informative.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  

The best way to determine if a relay is needed is to use a current meter to measure how much current the device needs.  If it is close or over 200mA use a relay.  If it is under 200mA a relay isn't required.

A diode, for the most part, is needed whenever you need to isolate one signal from another.  They can also be used for some other specific applications, but for the most part they are used for isolation.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic