icon

engine dies immediately after start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sidone 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  
I installed an Autopage RSTKE-900 with an iDataLink ADS-TBSL PL in a 2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2 (4.3l). The remote start activates, starts the truck and then the engine immediately dies. Usually it dies before the truck is actually started all of the way. It will do this three times before giving up. It has the tack wired and the RPM learning step completed correctly. I also tried with the check level set to both high and low.
While searching for answers, I read in another post that if I can start the truck with the key, activate the remote start and then remove the key and have the truck keep running, the problem is in the bypass. That is the case with this one. How do I trouble shoot this from that point?
The ADS-TBSL is wired in using the Type 6 Wiring Diagram with the RS232 cable. Everything appears to be functioning correctly as far as the documentation goes (led blinks when it should, etc.).
Could this have something to do with the OEM alarm? The manual for the ADS-TBSL says "Important: this data module does not disarm OEM alarm. For OEM alarm arm/disarm application, use DLSL-GM, GM1, GM2, GM3 or GM4 products (visit our website for compatibilty charts)"
Appreciate any help.
Steve
Steve
sidone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, re-reading all of the documentation word-for-word I came across this blurb on the RS232 "this connector will transmit digital codes to operate all functions of Autopage data modules. When these modules are used, no other data bus connections need to be made to the RS-900...This port will only operate correctly with Autopage C3 I-Datalink Modules."
From that, I have 2 questions.
1) Is the ADS-TBSL Pl a "C3" I-Datalink module?
2) Which wires do not need to be connected to the brain?
One other question regarding the wiring of the bypass: There are only two wires (besides the rs232 cable) that need to be connected, one goes to pin 2 on the OBDII and the other says "Ignition Input". Where should that be connected? I have it connected to the pink (Ignition 1) wire in the ignition switch harness.
Thanks again.
Steve
Steve
sidone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Just in case anybody else ever has the same issue. I didn't resolve the problem but I was able to work around it by reprogramming the ADS-TBSL to standard mode, throwing the RS232 cable in the trash and wiring in the three wires shown for w2w instead. Started right up.
I would still be interested in input on any of this for future reference.
Steve
Steve
sidone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
I'm just curious...78 Views and not one comment or suggestion. I see other threads with plenty of people jumping on board. I ask a couple of question and get nadda!! What gives? Too much detail, not enough detail, too many questions? I don't get it...
Steve
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
The number of views has absolutely nothing to do with the number of replies you get!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
shaip99 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
im not to sure about the autopage units but in most cases you need to turn the data port on the car starter on if not the bypass is looking for data and is not seeing anything
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd
all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive
music."-Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
autopage units are defaulted to run d2d for DEI xpresskits. You will need to go into the programming option and change it to ADS. I suggesr you do the w2w menthod. it will save you headaches later on down the road.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Personally we have had so may issues with data between units that i never use it. Take an extra 5 minutes and hardwire the Idatalink and you will never have to second guess the problem. I can also say the majority of issues we have had with data transfer has been with GM products and we install hundreds every month. I just isn't reliable enough for us.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
sidone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2010 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I'll have to take another look at the programming options and see what I missed. So far with it hard-wired, its been working great. Distance is incredible on this unit. Wish I could say the same for the Python 4203P I put in my wife's Explorer. I've tried everything and can't get reliable starts from a decent distance on that one.
Steve

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic