icon

big box employees vs. independent employees

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
id like to see the different opinions of the big box employees vs. the independent employees..
Is it ok to hook up your 12v constant from your remote start to blue/red (2amp) in Dodge , Chrysler & Jeep?
i for one, imo, thinks its fine if you change the remote start fuse, because the wires control relays , and if the key can use 2amp so can my remote start..
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,789
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

I'm an independant.  I get nervous using a low power, thin wire like that.  Even though I use  a smaller fuse rating on the R/S, I still connect to a thick constant +12v wire.  I will even use an empty, constant 12v,  fuse box fuse location with a 10 amp fuse and a leg extender ( off the correct fused side) to connect the R/S.

Probably not the case on a Chrysler product but didn't I read somewhere that the low power consumption from the R/S and bypass unit caused Fords some problems when attached to the IGN wires?

Soldering is fun!
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2010 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
i work for a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Suzuki/kia dealer and anything low current like that i go to the fuse box or to another high current source rather than the ing harness   rather not have to do it again later
i know its not a dodge product just my opinion
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

metz35 wrote:
id like to see the different opinions of the big box employees vs. the independent employees..
Is it ok to hook up your 12v constant from your remote start to blue/red (2amp) in Dodge , Chrysler & Jeep?

NO! Think about it, the inputs on your remote start are fused at 30amps.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
I know a few techs will use those low current wires when they do negative parking lights...etc...Not me...! But it does bring up another question...Why arent the grounds the same size as the power wires...! I see on some of the newer system that they have increased the size of the ground...! It is different almost at each shop you go to...Like honda's and volvo...Some install the whole keyless unit in the door...Theres usually always a thick power wire at the fuse box...etc...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

I think you're straying from the topic there tommy, are you drinking again? lol! Just kidding, of course doing it as metz said will have no adverse effects since the wires are only triggering relays, hence either way only a max of two amps will be drawn! However if another high current source were available with minimal difficulty i would go to that source! Just my 0.02 cents! 

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
shadyinstaller 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Whenever i run into thin gauge power wire i look somewhere else in the vehicle, chances are you can find a better source than at the ignition, as for changing fuses on your brain 12 volt source, i wouldn't do that either. I try and stick within the parameters set up by the engineers who design the product. I used to work for a big box store but now am independent and am even more careful than before.
"ill install anything once lol"
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
shadyinstaller wrote:
Whenever i run into thin gauge power wire i look somewhere else in the vehicle, chances are you can find a better source than at the ignition, as for changing fuses on your brain 12 volt source, i wouldn't do that either. I try and stick within the parameters set up by the engineers who design the product. I used to work for a big box store but now am independent and am even more careful than before.
I'm not 100% sure if I'm reading this right but are you feeding a 2amp circuit with two 30 amp fuses wired in parallel? This may not be a good idea. If there is a problem with the car and you have fused it like this there is a good chance this car will burn.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Big Box store here.
I would never hook my power source up to a 2A wire. You can usually find a more suitable constant power source, and I think there has only been one car where I had to run a power kit to the battery. I never use less than a 10A power source. Reason for this is if some jack comes in and changes my negative light connection to + for some reason, I want to have enough current to do so.
Usually I have to think about not how I am going to install it, but how people down the road are going to troubleshoot/look at it. Technically yes you can use less than a 10A wire, but you have to think about how much you are hooking up. For example, roughly there is about 250ma draw for each relay used to turn on the remote start from the brain, and there is usually 1 starter, 1 acc, and 2 igns. So there is at MINIMUM 1A there. Therefore when you figure in 250ma for you negative trigger p-lights, locks, arm/disarm, etc.... 2A is plain and simple just risky to hook up to.
Spend the extra time/materials to do the job so you don't have to touch it again.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

I could be wrong but i think that metz didn't mean the actual alarm's power connection, but the remote start portion, just the current wires for the remote start! That's the way i interpreted it! So no beegbie the car won't burn, the wires at the ignition harness must be fused from oem specs, also it is totally safe to do so, even though the remote start is fused at thirty amps!

The determining factor here would be the installer, the majority who have been under dashes for years will almost certainly go to a better current source, althought it isn't necassary, it just "feels" right! No installer who cares about his work would like to complete something and have his conscience bug him after, because he's thinking he should have gone to the larger current wire! At least i speak for myself there anyway!

Metz can clarify my opening statement! If however he did actually mean the entire alarm's power supply, then no, it's just plain wrong to connect to such a low current source!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic