icon

a pillar fabrication

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thunderplains 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I have done some FG work before, but only using cloth (for boat)
As everyone else, I am mounting the tweets in my A-pillars.. I already have the location marked and a set of rings to accommodate the tweets. I planned on using glue gun to use the wooden dowels to hold the rings in place.
First off, the pillars are plastic and have a texture. I was thinking of using SEM flexable primer to build up and sand until they were smooth THEN mounting the rings and proceeding with the work.
I was going to wrap them in fleece (lightweight) then use Evercoat resin to cover. Once dry, sand, evercoat rage to fill the bad spots, sand again (multiple times, different courseness) until ready to prime and paint.
If I am missing any steps or should use a different approach, speak up!
Also, I am only using evercoat cause i am familiar with the product.
I would like to make it as factory as possible.
So, any tips, advice, pictures, steps would br greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance..
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a good game plan ,just take your time and have fun!!!!
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
squires500 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2010 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
one hint maybe sand the A pillar plastic covers first with say a 60 or 80 grit sand paper remove the texture plus any additives that are on the pillar like oils and armourall, which will allow any bog and fiberglass to set better.
ive also found that fiber-glassing from the back can be a big advantage if you can work it right. so i suggest laying your stretch fabric over the top first resin it 2-3 times so its nice and strong and mostly flat then cut out the back of the a pillar remove your dowel and glass it inside out. this will mean basically 1 layer of bog and one sanding is all you need.
i can also suggest if possible don't use fleece for the base fabric, it takes a lot of resin to cover and has a fairly rough finish which requires more sanding, any uni directional stretch fabric will work, i tend to use a polyester blend i find in discount bins, it also has the hidden advantage of becoming very brittle when Ive resined it so cutting the edges is just a matter of pulling it :), but dont worry if yourve already brought the fleece it works fine.
they are all just hints you seem to have the concept down fairly well, please post pics as your working :)
armymp90099 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Just throwing it out there you could just mount the tweeter and then cover the pillars in grill cloth to match the interior it would hide the tewwters and still look good without having to use the whole fiberglass thing.
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic