icon

firewall hole?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigdeezy11 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
hey i have a 1998 grand prix sedan, does anyone know if there is a hole already in the firewall so i can run my power wire to the battery?  i have already looked up there and couldnt make sense of much.  if there is where is it, what is running thru it and how can i identify it?
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
All I can tell you is there is usually room around the steering collum, depending on the guage of your "power wire". However if you want advice, you will have to be more specific, such as is the "power wire"for your h/u, or for an amp,ect. Most of these guys need WAY more info than you are providing. I WOULD however, suggest that you pay for a quality install.
"That'll get ya 10 in Leavenworth,11 in Twelveworth, or 5 & 10 in Woolworth". Groucho Marx                                                      
bigdeezy11 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
oh my bad. yea it is power wire for my amp in the trunk which will power my subwoofer in the trunk.  have not made up my mind on the size but most likely will run a 4 guage wire.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
that is a hard question to answer because ( and dont take this the wrong way) i dont know how much common sense you have. i would tell you to drill a new hole using a step bit (uni bit). all i can tell you is if you cant find a rubber grommet to send your wire through you really should try to drill a new hole instead of maybe running it through the fender which is not a very smart thing to do.
if you drill a hole, just remember these rules:
1) double check on both sides of the fire wall before you drill anything and use things that already go through the fire wall as a reference point so you have a better chance of not drilling through anything important like your brake booster or main wire harness.
2) check it again before you drill
3) drill slowly and once you make it through the fire wall check to make sure you can see light through the hole before you drill deeper.
if thats too much to handle you should take it to a shop and let them drill the hole
bigdeezy11 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
cool, thanks for the help. i can do that.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
And make sure you use some grommet or protection - do not have "naked hole edges".
Apart from failing roadworthy inspections, it will cause problems one day. (Yeah - I used to think those inspectors were pedantic, but when fuses blew years later, it wasn't worth the hassle finding where & which hole was shorting what cable....!)
To minimise fat cable runs, some run external to the cabin but through thick conduit etc, but that can be far more work.
But the shorter run may not matter much - especially if using a (second) boot battery....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic