icon

kenwood's double din cages are too large

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spl tech 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
I just got a Kenwood DDX814 and the cage is 4.25" tall. The double DIN standard is 4 x 7". So there isint a damn dash kit in existence that will fit it. Why the hell would Kenwood build a cage that does not meet ISO double DIN standards? How am I suppose to install it?
segal79_19 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
iso mount the radio without the cage. what kind of car and what kit r u useing
Marks Auto Mart Sound and Accessories
2100 5th Ave. South
Fort Dodge Iowa 50501
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
spl tech wrote:
I just got a Kenwood DDX814 and the cage is 4.25" tall. The double DIN standard is 4 x 7". So there isint a damn dash kit in existence that will fit it. Why the hell would Kenwood build a cage that does not meet ISO double DIN standards? How am I suppose to install it?
When in doubt read your manual. What kit are you using and vehicle? Sure your vehicle is a true double din and not a din and a half? MY DDx812 fits just fine.
kenwood's double din cages are too large -- posted image.
spl tech 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Its going in a 2009 VW Jetta TDI. You cannot ISO mount the headunit. VW's switched their headunit style in 2005 and the 05's and up need a dash kit. The dash kits I am looking at have a standard 4" tall opening for the cage, the Kenwood cage is 4.25" tall.
spl tech 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
j.reed wrote:
spl tech wrote:
When in doubt read your manual. What kit are you using and vehicle? Sure your vehicle is a true double din and not a din and a half? MY DDx812 fits just fine.
Its actually more like 2 3/4 DIN but the dash kit takes up the extra room. Here is what the stock headunit looks like: https://image.motortrend.com/f/2009_volkswagen_jetta/2310263266614884750+ppromo_mt_large/radio.jpg
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
Kenwood DDX814 manual. Page 9. For Volkswagen attach accessory #10 to the unit. Depending on your kit you may not need to use the kenwood factory trim pieces at all.
http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=99-9011 If you notice the metra kit comes with the pieces to iso mount to the trim kit its self.
kenwood's double din cages are too large -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
+1
spl tech 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
j.reed wrote:
Kenwood DDX814 manual. Page 9. For Volkswagen attach accessory #10 to the unit. Depending on your kit you may not need to use the kenwood factory trim pieces at all.
http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=99-9011 If you notice the metra kit comes with the pieces to iso mount to the trim kit its self.
That "accessory 10" the manual refers to is for 4th generation VW's. We are now on the 6th gen. The 4th gen stopped production in 2005. The 06's and newer cars have a different radio that the trim bracket will not fit.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

use the metra dash kit as noted, the radio will slip in through the back of the kit... iso mounted using the side plates provided.

m

05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

read what was said above

I have the same car with an alpine double din, and it is iso mounted (no cage used)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic