icon

sub, amp 3 choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fronzizzle 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

I have a new 2010 Challenger that I want to add some subwoofers to.  I've got everything narrowed down, but I'm having a hard time making the final decisions.  Any helpful information is appreciated:

Amp: Sony Xplod XM-ZZR3301 or Infinity Reference 1600a

Same RMS power, the Infinity is approximately $100 more.  It has a cool blue light on it, but its not worth $100 to me.  Is the Infinity amp that much better?

Subs: Kenwood KFC-W2512 or Alpine SWE-1043

I can get them for about the same price.  The Kenwood can handle a little more power, but I think either would be fine with either of the amp choices.

Where to buy: Crutchfield or Sonic Electronix

I talked to a guy at Crutchfield, he was very helpful so I'm definitely getting my subs through them.  However, the amps are so much cheaper at Sonic.  The Sony is $70 cheaper (I can get it for $129).  Fropm the reviews I read, both places seem to be pretty reputable and are authorized dealers.  Does anyone have good or bad experieces with either of these places?

nodiggie 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2010 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

If it were my decision based on these suggestions I would go Alpine. I have never heard anything bad about their products and they just ROCK. I won't bash on the others, just wouldn't buy them. haha

I have purchased from Crutchfield (many years ago) and recently purchased a JL fuse block from Sonic. So far, both very good suppliers with no know bad history.

Still learning
Kraco
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
Stock or Aftermarket Radio?
One or two subs?
Sealed or Ported Box?
Amp- Personally I would go with the Alpine M500 it has a higher S/N ratio than the sony and the same size fuses. So doing the math, I think sony is not telling the truth on their power output. I've had horrible issues with infinity Amps.
Sub- I have had great luck with both subs. If you are going for sound Quality I would go with the Type E's. If you are doing a vented box and looking for higher SPL go with the Kenwoods.
My personal mentality is to buy based on customer service. Crutchfield is always very nice, and they have some semi-knowledgeable people, but when I have had customers go through them I told them they had to return a part etc.. So their technical application skills quite aren't there. But subs are pretty basic, unlike some integration for stereos.
Here is a list of parts that you will need just in case you didn't know.
8ga power cables - 14-20 ft.
RCA's (doesn't matter on quality for subs just a good pair that will stick and make contact. 16ft. I love the Rockford Fosgate RCA's they can be picked up for $13.)
Remote wire 16ft.
Line output Converter (If going from a factory stereo)
8ga Spades (Make power cable connections much easier. (If not already included in kit)
fronzizzle 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info, it will come in very handy.

To answer your questions: Stock radio (2010 Challenger MyGig system), 2 subs, sealed custom-made fiberglass boxes (one on each side of the trunk, tucked into the wheel wells like the JL Audio Stealthbox).

thunderplains 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I guess my question would be are you looking for thump or clarity?
And what type of Sub do you have? Makes a difference..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic