icon

bulldog 1200 in 04 mitsubishi lancer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cgruenha 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have put in two remotes starts before my 95 altima and the wifes 99 durango. both vehicles meat and potatos. piece of cake no problem. well the sister-in-laws boyfriend bought her a remote starter and guess who gets roped into installing this thing. long story short i can't get the remote start to work.

What ive done. yes hooked everything up and tested with voltmeter and all cables are soldered so good connections, i know you will say check and recheck and i will but it is no lie when i say i have checked 5 times already and am pulling my damn hair out. i am wized enough i got valunteered to do it to begin with and now the SOB won't work. when i hit the remote start it turns the car over but will not start it. it is not a keysense issue as when i just put the key in the ignition it will again turn over but not start. if i turn the key to the run position as the remote start is cranking the engine it will run. if i start the car with the key and hit the remote start to keep the car running and turn the key to off the car will run anywhere from 2-5 seconds and turn off. it is the most basic model of the lancer you can buy and didn't see anything in the owners manual about anti-theft or what not but fear there is something like that causing the remote start not to work. I have never dealt with the security bypass aspect of the remote starts and fear this is whats going on. Tell other wise if i am wrong. can anyone give some ideas on what the heck is going on.

any ideas? Ideas involving the use of 8lb hammer would really garner my interest.

Thanks

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Er transponder by-pass? Have you installed one?
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
try wrapping the head of the key in 2 or 3 wraps of alum. foil.  and then starting the car.  if it stays running probably not a chipped key but if it does what you described your remote start does then you probably have a chipped key. 
cgruenha 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

Nope, complete newbie when dealing with the security side of things.

how do i find the security wire giving me the issue?

cgruenha 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

alright, not sure if your jerking my chain with the foil or not but i put on about 6 layers and starts and runs fine.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Actually do two things for me.
1) See if it remote starts with the key (no foil please) in the ignition.
2) Have you tried hot wiring with the key removed completely from the vehicle?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, just read your post again, only try the second test, if there was a transponder, simply leaving the key in the ignition would have enabled the R/S. If you can hot wire it you probably have a faulty unit. You say you checked your wiring, did you test the unit, i.e. are you getting a solid 12V+ from the ignition output, does the starter side output work?
Is there a second ignition required, or a second starter? Has tach been properly learned?
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2010 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Relearn your tach signal. If you hooked tach up that is...
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Tach issue going once..........going twice............................................................, I have no clue on those units so i can't tell you set it to voltage, however as mentioned by howard, it isn't transponder problems, two to five second runtime, means the ignition wire is also good from the starter! There isn't any second ignition or starter either (at least on the versions i'm accustomed to) i've done hundreds,  So check tach!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
cgruenha 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

sorry for late replies. gone this weekend. i will retry the tach method again. It has a tachless method that did not work so i switched the remote start to tach mode and could not get it to reccognise the tach signal, only tried one wire from the spark plug wire will try the other wire this week sometime.

I know we ruled out security but can you guys and gals answer a question for me.

would the remote start even crank the engine if it was a keysense or anti-theft issue?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic