the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Subwoofer box questions.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hey bberman, im kinda curious why you dont recommend that box. I see why he chooses it, its what Rockford recommends which most people would go by. The box seems small to me but i've always had ported boxes so im used to seeing the bigger volumes. Anyways, was just curious for the sake of all newcomers who would normally go by what the manufacturer recommends.
amador 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
something to think about i would go with the 3/4 1.25 box only because of the speaker displacement . that would bring the volume down pretty close to 1.00 just something to think about.
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
amador is right, you have to take the displacement of the speaker into consideraton.  you could look up the displacment of the speaker, but I would just go with the 1.25 box.  After subtracting the disp. of the speaker it should be right around 1.0 cu. ft.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Either enclosure would work for him. He probably would not be able to hear a difference between the two volumes. As far as the displacement of the sub goes in fosgates calculations they figure it in to that 1.0 cu/ft.

drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2003 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
I would personally prefer the 1.25 cubic foot enclosure and 3/4". I have built numerous enlcosures for shops that I have worked at, and I like the ridigity of 3/4" MDF, not that an audible difference can be heard, but just the fact of knowing that it is stronger. Along with the fact that using an enclosure where the volume is a little larger is going to allow the driver to drop to lower frequences with better tonal balance. The speaker will be able to play lower frequences better with the larger volume. I do not suggest that you go to extremes with this idea. A 4.0 cubic foot box with that speaker is going to sound like garbage.
Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2003 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

Ok...now I have found a 3/4 1.06 box on ebay.  Is this the best choice?

Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2003 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

Ok...now I have found a 3/4 1.06 box on ebay.  Is this the best choice?  If it will play lower with a bigger box then why don't they recommend that?  Is'nt that what subs are for?

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2003 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
I like factory built boxes. they save a lot of time and money just look for 3/4" board and glued and stapled. and glued and screwed termanal cups
Big Dave
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic