cutting the starter wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Troc4434 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I wouldn't use a 25 watt iron to do a starter wire, but I bet it could be done.  When working with any thicker wires in the car I use a Craftsman soldering gun.

The place you cut it doesn't really matter as long as you can access the cut and it's not so close to a harness that you can't splice both sides back together. 

The guy in the car I had to fix cut the starter wire rigth were it comes down from the column.  I had to drop the bottom of the column to get to the wire - he didn't drop the bottom of the column and the results were the connection only lasted 2 weeks.

okay, what solder gun to get for a okay price? which crafstman solder gun? what size weight solder?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

I think this is the one I have: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00954046000P?keyword=soldering+gun

I've had mine for probably 10 years now though so it may not be exactly the same.

I use the same solder for everything - it's a 60/40 solder that is fairly thin - not sure on the diamerter of it. 

Kevin Pierson
Troc4434 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
I just went to sear and bought that one, 230/1500 watt heavy duty soldering gun part
954046. so the 60/40 solder is best for alarm installs?
Troc4434 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
hey does the hood pin switch ahve to be mounted under the hood to metal to activate and deactivate?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the chassis of the hood switch needs to be mounted to the chassis of the vehicle.
Troc4434 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 300c 2005, I think at the front of the car it hard plastic I think, i will check. any other goo spots for this car for the hood pin? does the star washer mount to the body of the car then the nut on top?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
The hood switch doesn't necessarily have to be mounted to the chassis for it to work, i learned a trick from a fellow twelve volter, if you have to mount on plastic according to the switch you are using when you depress it there should be two parts the bottom part being seperated from the upper part, simply ground the upper part with a ring terminal around the switch crimped on to a wire where the other end goes to ground, the the bottom of the switch goes to the hood trigger wire of the alarm, there are many different types of pin switches if you gave the info on what type i may be able to help you better!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

After re-reading your post, i think you have the dei pin switch, this is easy to mount on plastic, ring terminal to ground at the top (between both lock washers), and the other end to the alarm trigger wire, as i described in my previous post!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
jeremytravis 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
If you do cut the starter wire and add a starter kill relay, just make sure you know how to override the alarm just in case you can't use the remote,on Viper alarms you use the valet button, with the key in the on position press the valet button 1 time within 15 seconds. After 5 seconds it should disarm the alarm, default is set to 1 (but can be changed 1-5)
**advanced mecp certified
Troc4434 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
I check the front it metal, tested it with a magnet it stuck so got to be metal.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic