icon

Tach wire on 99 Chevy Silvardo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2003 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Jeff, Passlock II is built into the key cylinder, not into the key itself. A cheap $1 key copy will work, even with Passlock.
Stunnin, there are a few things to know.
Crimestopper is not made by DEI. DEI units are reliable and well-made, even if they're a little overpriced and take too long to install. Crimestopper is pretty much just average; I have a couple of used ones laying around, and they don't look like anything special.
The square panel that has the red "battery" picture in it performs a number of functions. Under certain conditions, it will turn orange and say "SECURITY." Does it do this while you're attempting to remote start?
In any event, your truck surely has Passlock II; I'm pretty sure this feature came on all models. IMPORTANT NOTE: If Passlock detects three improper starting attempts in a row, it will lock up for a little while....I forget if it's ten minutes or an hour. But you don't want to get yourself stuck there.
No matter what you do, don't attempt to remote start the truck more than twice in a row until you get everything figured out. If you try to remote-start it twice and you fail each time, hit the brake to kill the remote start, and start the truck with the key and let it run for a few moments.
It was smart of you to try remote starting the truck with the key left in the Run posistion---this helps to make sure that all the ignition wires are getting powered up----if it still cranks, starts, and dies, you've got Passlock.
Try something else. Turn the key to Run, and then tap it to Start for just a split second-----just enough to hear the starter make a noise, but not enough to actually start the engine----this will trigger all of the factory Passlock stuff to do its thing. Now, try remote starting again; does it work now? If so, there's your trouble.
There are a number of different brands of Passlock bypass units. DEI's 555L is probably the most popular, and can be picked up for I think $50 at any Circuit City. I use Audiovox's AS-GM4, which is a copy of the 555L. You might also take a look at www.transponderbypass.com.
Regardless of the brand you choose, there are two types of bypass units: Self-learning and user-adjustable.
If the instructions mention anything about measuring resistance with a multimeter, or moving DIP switches up and down, or turning an adjustment screw, that means it's a user-adjustable unit. That also means it's a piece of junk, will give you several headaches, and will add time to your install.
Shell out the few extra bucks for a self-learning module, and life will be good.
Also, the Crimestopper units I've seen inexcusably include only one ignition output---pretty much every modern car has two ignition wires, including yours.
Like Jeff says, both the pink and white wires need to see ignition during remote start. If you fail to power up the white wire, the remote start will still work, but you'll have a host of problems, including the transmission not shifting right.
So if you haven't already, make sure both of those wires are getting powered up under remote start. If your Crimestopper offers two ignition outputs, great; if not, you'll need a relay or two.
Stunnin 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2003 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I purchased the bypass unit. I will now try to wire that thing up. I will post what I find.

Stunnin 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
  Tach wire on 99 Chevy Silvardo - Page 2 -- posted image.  Hey everyone this truck is a pain. I installed the bypass and cant get it to match the value. I should of bought the self learning one but didnt (ignorance is bliss). No matter how I try to adjust it the value it reads 5.09 and I need to be 3.258 and now I cant return the old for the new because I "used it". Can I just kill the bypass II ? any help is good. One last thing I still cant find the tach wire!?! its just lost in space!
Stunnin 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
  Tach wire on 99 Chevy Silvardo - Page 2 -- posted image.  I found the tack wire on the truck! I also got the bypass to "somewhat" match! But.... it only starts once out of three trys. The security light also still lights even when it does start. I think im close to finishing it but dont know what im doing wrong. I say the bypass matches somewhat because I turned it up all the way and it stops at 3.01, yesturday I was getting 5.09 because I was reading off the wrong wire. (duh!) Can someone please help me. Im realy tired of wiring, and rewiring this truck with no success what so ever. Thank you. Tony
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic