icon

2002 Camry Dash speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soybeanstorm 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

Anybody know what size the camry dash speakers are?  I'm looking to replace the whole front end with a nice pair of components.  Think it would sound funny with the tweeter all the way up in the dash (so far from the mid)? 

But yeah, first thing's first.. How do you remove the dash speaker on the 2002 camry?  Do you have to remove the entire dash to get to it? (I hope not!)  It doesn't appear to have any pry openings on the speaker grill itself.  Has anybody done this before?  Help!

drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2003 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I am unsure of the size of the front dash tweeters, however I can inform you that the speakers in your doors as well as the rear deck are all 6.5". Personally I would suggest that if you plan to upgrade, I would suggest some 6.5" component speakers. However, if that is your plan of attack, I would definitely also suggest adding an amplifer. Specifically a 4 channel. Even if you dont use the rear channels at the time of instlalation, it would be nice to have them later. I have not worked on the 02 Camry so I can not give specific details of panel removal. However I can say that all Toyota vechicles are extremely easy to work on. MOST ALL of them have panels that easily pop off. If not, 99% of all bolts/screws are either phillips head, 10mm, or 12mm. In all my experience with Toyota vechciles I have never had to use anything else. Good luck with your installation.
soybeanstorm 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2003 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

I do have 2 amplifiers hooked up already: a 2 and 4 channel hifonics.  I am slowly doing the install, replacing a piece at a time.  So far, the only thing hooked up to the amps is the rear speaker because I've already replaced those. 

Anyhow, I can atest to not all things "snapping off" because I tried to snap off the rear speaker grills when replacing the 6x9's and broke one. =p  (The whole rear dash has to come off.. live and learn).  I just don't want the same incident to happen to the front (something tells me hot glue won't fix the front grill =p).

justwonderin 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Some commercial sites like Crutchfield let you input the make and model, then spit out the speakers that will fit your car, I think the fronts are 3.5 in.; doors and rear deck 6x9, as you know. I have the same car, 2002 camry, and would like to upgrade the stock speakers. With the base set to positive numbers, I get a reverb sort of distortion, like they're vibrating on something. ....so many speakers, so little time... I'm trying to figure a good replacement choice.
I've found some "deals" on the net, but am not sure how these compare qualitywise with stock.
pioneer A6960R 6x9
pioneer A6970R 6x9
JVC CS V6930   6x9
JBL GTO925     6x9
JBL GTO935     6x9
JBL GTO325     3.5
Suggestions for best choices and placement welcome.
PS Are Amps available for direct connection to the stock radio outputs? How well does that work?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
The factory door speakers in a 2002 Camry are 6x9s, I'm pretty sure. And they sound pretty nice too; the factory system is just a little underpowered....you might consider just giving them more power, and see if you like how they sound.
I haven't messed with the dash tweeters before, but I couldn't imagine that you'd have to remove the entire dash to get to them. I would just pry very, very slowly on one of the grilles. If it comes off very easily, good....if it is hard to pull off, wait and get more information before you go on.
soybeanstorm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

justwonderin,

I have the JBL GTO935 6x9's in the back of my camry.  They're decent speakers, but don't expect much of an improvement over the stock speakers--especially if you're driving em' from the head unit. 

I have a Kenwood MPV-7019 and when I replaced the rear speakers with the JBL's, hooking it up straight to the head unit, I didn't notice much of a difference at all.  (I think it might be something wacky with the head unit though.. it seems to cutoff alot of the lower frequencies.. something that might be desirable, if I had a sub installed, but I don't [yet], so it sounded pretty flat)  Anyhow, when I hooked that sucker up to my amp [I set the x-over to full range for now since I don't have a sub installed yet], it sounded alot fuller.. pretty decent.. but maybe hooking up the stock speaker to the amp would've made it sound pretty ok too? 

But yeah, in short, when hooking it up to the head unit, there's not much of a difference from the stock speakers. 

I haven't tried hooking up the stock speakers to the amp yet because I was waiting to see if I could figure out how to replace em' with components (with the tweeter in the dash).. but I still haven't figured it out..  so I'll probably wait until a service manual for the car comes out. 

Until then, I'm just going to build the box for my Orion XTR sub and install that first. 

I still have to get around to building that darn starter kill module (Chris, I haven't forgotten! =)).  All in due time..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic