icon

h/o altenator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diamondaudioguy 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
Quick question guys, I have a 1999 jeep cherokee classic with the 4.0 I was told by a person that since my jeep has power Windows,locks,etc that my altenator should by a h/o is this true? And if not do I even need to upgrade? I'm running a fosgate p1000 1bs running at 1ohm pushing a diamond audio 15"d2 ground and hot wire are 4gauge I'm running a 60amp bus fuses about 8" from the battery.could use some advice,thanks
nodiggie 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

I would say if you arn't experiencing any dimming hd lights you are probably ok. Your factory alt. should be either 100 or 117amp / + reserve capacity.

If you are experiencing head light dimming, that means you are exceeding the output of your factory alternator. If this is the case and it were my Jeep, I would do the following:

Big3 update, 1/0 main power cable, H/O alternator and possibly new main battery with good AGM.

I'm not good at current calculations to give you specific current draw on that amp. Others here would be glad to help.

Still learning
Kraco
diamondaudioguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Matter of fact I just replaced all my cables coming off my battery with 2gauge and as far as the dimming I am not experiencing that problem.
diamondaudioguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
h/o altenator? - Last Post -- posted image.
thenumber1byrd 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
a good rule of thumb on current draw for a amp is... for every 10watts is 1amp... 1000watts = 100amps, 1200watts is 120amps. ive never replaced my alt when i stay 1200watts and below but it wouldnt hurt
yup back at it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic