icon

pre-out noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bdeklejr 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok i have a problem, one the rear set of preouts on my head unit make a buzzing sound.....i thought maybe it was some kinda wire misplacement in the car, but when i connect my rca's to the front set, the noise isnt there, but when it is connected to the rear set, the noise is present.  im adding a 4ch amplifier to my car and need some advice on how to fix this or what the problem could be. thanks
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

I'm assuming you've tried switching the outputs, as well as just running each pair on its own?  For example, give the 4-channel amp's front RCA inputs the signal coming from the rear RCA outputs of the head unit, and give the amp's rear RCA inputs the signal from the front RCA outputs of the head unit.  Try both of these on their own and then together.  See if the noise switches over to the other pair of speakers when you swap to different cables--if so, the problem is with your amp.  If not, then the problem is most likely with your head unit or with one set of the RCA cables (could be pinched somewhere or might have strands exposed touching metal somewhere in the vehicle).

By trying each pair of RCAs with each set of outputs, you are also essentially testing the integrity of those cables themselves.  Try all the different possible combinations and note any patterns.

Ideal way to troubleshoot this is really to just grab a brand new RCA cable and run it temporarily across the seats or outside the vehicle, from the deck to the amp.  If the noise is still there you probably have a problem with one of the components.

bdeklejr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
i did that, its a problem with the head unit, is there some way the ground could be messed up in the head unit or is there any kinda noise supressor i could use cuz it sounds like a bad ground cuz when the engine revs, the noise goes up with it
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
How did you run your rca and power cables thru the car?
bdeklejr 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
rcas down middle, power down left side,they are far enough apart
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

yea it sounds like you've pretty much eliminated the wiring as the cause of the problem...David Navone makes some really good noise filters, you might want to check out some of these, in particular the ones that say alternator noise filters.

It is possible that the ground inside the deck is messed up but I think this is very unlikely.  Even if that were the case, you'd pay more getting it fixed than you would on a good noise filter.  Just something to think about...

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
bdeklejr wrote:
but when i connect my rca's to the front set, the noise isnt there, but when it is connected to the rear set, the noise is present.  im adding a 4ch amplifier to my car
Did you leave the other end of the RCA's connected to the same input of the 4-channel amp, or did you switch from front to rear amp inputs when you moved the RCA's at the headunit?
If you didn't change the connection at the amp, you may have a bad set of pre-outs. How old is the headunit?
Check your grounds for the headunit and amp. Make sure you are grounding to the frame, and it is bare metal. Do not ground the headunit to a piece of metal in/on the dash itself, and do not ground the amp to a parcel shelf (not saying you did, just trying to cover as many bases as possible)
Also make sure (just as a matter of good installation) to run your RCA's and speaker wires down opposite sides of the car (or at least as far appart as possible) to avoid interfeerence.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
Don't ya love it when you think you're the 1st post, and you really end up repeating what everyone else typed faster!
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
lol that happens to me ALL the time!  I spend so much damn time writing out a response that by the time I press "post message" someone has already posted!  thank goodness for the "edit post " and "delete post " buttonspre-out noise -- posted image.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
lol exactly! I can't delete my posts, but the edit button works quite well pre-out noise -- posted image. BTW, How do you get your member status raised? I've looked, but obviously not hard enough. I think it has to do with # of posts, but not sure. Just curious.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic