icon

how to tune ports in an enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
franky84 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
i just placed a bass reflex enclosure in my mercury cougar "a fiberglass deck sealed against the back seat using the trunk space inbetween the deck and back seat as the box , with ports through the back dash. how would i tune the ports in an enclosure like this i mean it sounds great as is with two jl w7 12's and a 1000/1 v2 jl amp but the ports are just at the dash not extended into the enclosure.
Tattoofreak
nodiggie 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

Unless you know the exact cubic feet of space, it's going to be a trial and error effort. I'm sure there are ways to change the tunning such as, placing filler materials to take up space in the trunk. I've heard of crazy things like, rocks, bricks, blankets .. etc.

As far as the ports, you could just start sticking tubes from the deck down into the enclosure space just to see how that would affect the sound again, trial and error. The MOST concern here is protecting the subs from over excursion damage. I am not certain if those subs specs or if the space in your trunk is so large that the application is considered as an infinite baffle.

Typically subs are placed into an enclosure for tunning and to prevent the sub from bottoming out which could damage the sub. There are other reasons as well.  When a enclosure is designed specifically for a sub, those internal dimensions are taken into consideration and port tunning dimensions are easily calculated.

I am CERTAIN others will be glad to post more information about your application.

Still learning
Kraco
nodiggie 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

ok, I believe I misunderstood your application.

There is a "box" or enclosure. Not the trunk space as part of the internal dimensions of the enclosure.

You need to confirm internal volume of the box plus the displacement of the subs and bracing if any. Decide what frequency you want to tune and hopefully you have enough length to place proper lenght port to acheive that tunning frequency.

Still learning
Kraco
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Those posts describe the basics just fine.  There is a port length calculator on this site (link in the left column) after you know the internal volume of your enclosure and you determine what the best "tuning" frequency is for your application.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic