wiring 2 4ohm subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
russell2342 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

speakers are 250/500 peak.

So your saying to just use 1 set of coils as if it were a svc and leave the others open, correct?

Then wire them, bridged between channels 1 and 2 for 1 speaker, and 3-4 for the second?

Thanks for the input guys!

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
  • Already checked those specs, okay
  • yes
  • and yes
  • your welcome

I might be pushing the "by the book" way of doing things (leaving all wisdom up to the great Ohm in the sky), but considering everything in your stated situation it looks like the right thing to do.  The RMS of one coil (given that it is nestled together with the heat absorbing second coil) will be close enough to the true power output of the amp in real life playing.

I expect that you will build the enclosure to bring the best out of those 15's, and that is where that bit of extra power would come in handy when you want the very low tones to shine.  I don't think its too much of a gamble and is certainly the way I would try it first.  Set gains of all gear with great care and precision. If it gets smelly turn it off and go to plan B.  ;)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yes that is how you could get the most power to each sub.
Your Next best option would then be to wire each VC to each channel on the amp putting out 150w to each sub OR do what Idiot says and bridge the amp and run each sub @ 8ohms. If Idiot is correct about the 25% reduction in power handling when running only one voice coil(250 X .75 = 187.5 watts)then I personally would go with his option of running them bridged @ 8ohms which would give them 150 Watts @ 13.8 Volts and if your car runs @ 14.4 volts then it would be even closer to 187.5 w. I might be wrong about this but I think another advantage of running @ 8ohms would be lower THD which would equal cleaner/tighter bass. But if your looking for max power and are going for the 300w rms just be careful with the gains.wiring 2 4ohm subs - Page 2 -- posted image.
Another plus to using only one VC is if you do end up blowing them with the 300w setup then you can just switch to the other VC and back down to the 150w setup.
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

zoomzoom, don't over-complicate it, grasshopper.  Don't get too caught up in the ratings numbers, power per volt or the THD.  Sometimes common sense for a given situation and specific query prevails.  "Just be careful with the gains" means nothing, and your last line is wrong entirely.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
z03mz03m 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yes Master...wiring 2 4ohm subs - Page 2 -- posted image.
I thought I read some were on here that the 2 VC in a DVC sub don't affect each other when blown...but I guess theres more than one way that a speaker can fry? I guess I should find a cut-away pic of one to see the guts and look for that other post. I think it was actually a full time installer that said that.
"Just be careful with the gains" =
"Set gains of all gear with great care and precision."
stevdart 
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
grasshopper, what is the impedance of one coil?
z03mz03m 
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
4 ohms Right?
stevdart 
Posted: March 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
wrote:
and your last line is wrong entirely.
z03mz03m 
Posted: March 29, 2010 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........My Bad wiring 2 4ohm subs - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic